• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (7 Viewers)

I'd like to get the same quality IQ that i get with the Tamron 600, but i dont think i'm going to improve enough to match it

Here's an example shot at Farlington Marshes with the Tamron, while i was camping down that way, a Whitehroat

Attachments

• Whitethroat Male.jpg
    Whitethroat Male.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 136
I'd like to get the same quality IQ that i get with the Tamron 600, but i dont think i'm going to improve enough to match it

Here's an example shot at Farlington Marshes with the Tamron, while i was camping down that way, a Whitehroat

beautiful shot! Detailed, pose and bug. what else you need? :)

The bird with the bug is a Whitehroat shot with a Tamron lens, not the scope

I was hoping that i could match the IQ with the ES scope and was posting an example compared to the Blue Tit which was shot using the scope

I was hoping that i could match the IQ with the ES scope and was posting an example compared to the Blue Tit which was shot using the scope

ah, ok. However, I can't see way you wouldn't be able match it, as long as they stay still long enough to get correct focus

Very true, and to be fair, the light for the Tamron / Whitethroat was much much better than the Blue Tit with the scope

Why couldn't the scope match (and even exceed) the IQ delivered by the lens. The Blue Tit suffers from a tad out of focus (front).

I think i'm too close to the subject on these test shots. Even with using the cap stop down method, the DOF is still too thin.

The shot below was on a tripod, with focus being live view / zoomed in

Attachments

• BT feeder.jpg
    BT feeder.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 115
Haven't done much with the scope lately, nor do I intend to. Still, this guy was a bit out of reach for the Canon the other day.
P7308087.jpg
About 100 meters away, 600 with EC14.
My wife has accused me of becoming a Hobby photographer;)
Been getting the best BiF results with the Canon/Metabones/E-M1 setup, with my sight thingie. Point and shoot... and I love being able to hand hold it all.
Here is one at about half the distance, 400mm, no TC.
P7267703.jpg
Poorly exposed. Birds against a bright white sky really show where the Oly sensor is lacking in dynamic range.:-C

Hobby

Nice.

Here is one taken with the TS102, taken from a good 100 meters away. We have one of Sweden's largest colony of Sand Martins not so far from my place. Out of sudden they vanish, chance is quite high a Hobby is around.

Attachments

• P5300092.jpg
    P5300092.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 92
Visited Falsterbo this morning, still summer temperatures. Autumn migration will start soon.
TS102, E-M5

Attachments

• P8270045.jpg
    P8270045.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 81
  • P8270113.jpg
    P8270113.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 83
Some from Falsterbo, shortly after sunrise. I got pretty wet but it was worth it.
TS102
EM1 with silent shutter

Attachments

• P9100178.jpg
    P9100178.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 67
  • P9100182.jpg
    P9100182.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 60
  • P9100190.jpg
    P9100190.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P9100218.jpg
    P9100218.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Nice, Tord. Was that along the side of the golf course? Sun on the left means you were facing south.
Don't see any smearing...
Thanks Dan,
These are from the beach just by the golf course club house. Water level was near perfect with sand bars just exposed, and light was great. I was on site by sunrise, placed myself on the ground under a camo net and waited for the birds to come closer. After a while other visitors showed up unfortunately and then the opportunity was gone.

And by the way the smearing does not occur with the scope.

In one of the public parks in Central Malmö there are not only one, but two Kingfishers. I spotted them the other week while on casual birding and got some acceptable pictures with the 400/5.6. This time I deployed the TS102 and added the MC14 for more reach and waited patiently. One showed up after an hour but I wasted that opportunity as I was photographing some spotted Flycatchers. Waited another hour or so and then they landed again.

Not too bad considering the one in the shade is at 1/30s. The one in sunlight was taken as the sun was about to die so still calling for 1/100s. Had some issues with the IS but in between the vibrations got a fair amount of sharp shots.

Attachments

• P9120071.jpg
    P9120071.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 109
  • P9120148.jpg
    P9120148.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 118
Well, there is one area where the Sigma doesn't stand a chance against the scope, and that is when there is good air!
scope.jpg

Sigma.jpg

But then.... I wouldn't have been able to get this guy riding out the wind with the scope...
PC081459.jpg
840mm hand held with 1/40 second. Just had time to open the window before he took off.

Last edited:
Had some Waxwings here for the last couple of days. Perching at the top of tall Beech tree though so no chance to get close. Murky with drizzle so even worse chance to capture any of their beauty. Tripod is set up with my digital projector which I use for my paintings so I had to rest the scope on the rotary washing line.

Nikon D3300, 1200mm and ISO6400

Paul.

Attachments

• Waxwing_15_02_2017.jpg
    Waxwing_15_02_2017.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back