• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone spot what's unusual here? (1 Viewer)

MTem

Juvenile Stonechat, Dordogne France a week ago

Something missing? (confirmed as missing in several other photos!)

Mick

Attachments

• IMG_1372-1.JPG
    IMG_1372-1.JPG
    522.9 KB · Views: 202
Not just keeping the other leg warm? More seriously, I've seen a few one-legged birds that seem to survive pretty well.

Not just keeping the other leg warm? More seriously, I've seen a few one-legged birds that seem to survive pretty well.

Definitely not unless it has developed a bit of a habit. I took several photos as it moved about with Dad, and in all cases it only has its left peg. Seemed very fit and able, but of course it was probably still being fed and guided by its parents. I go back to the area quite often and will keep an eye out in the future.

Mick

Yeah, looks like there's just one leg. A while back we had a one legged Chickadee around for about three years (who we referred to as Lefty) and still have a one legged crow around now going on 2 or 3 years. (Hoppy) Both very capable birds.

And yes, I realize it's a bit lame giving these birds names. |:$|

It looks to me as though the bird has its left leg drawn up. The dark spot on the bird's belly appears to be the foot sticking out of the feathers.

I have watched quite a few sandpipers hop around on one foot. Often the bird is actually missing their foot, but sometimes they just have the other foot tucked away.

Mike

It looks to me as though the bird has its left leg drawn up. The dark spot on the bird's belly appears to be the foot sticking out of the feathers.

Well anything is possible …… but I watched it and its parent fly backwards and forwards between the hedges several times and on no occasion did its right leg appear!

I too have watched shorebirds move around for hours on one leg, only to extend the other one in the end ….. but never a passerine.

I'm as sure as a sure thing that this one has just one leg ….

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back