• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar & Cabela Euro - same bin? (1 Viewer)

lulubelle

Reading through the forum, keeping my mind off of other things in life, and was curious......am I correct in understanding that the Meopta Meostars and the Cabela Euro bins are the exact same bin? The only difference literally is that the euro bins are badged with Cabelas name and under Cabelas warranty?

Miss Lulubelle,

Either on Cabela's Website or one of their postings on a hunting optics forum, I read that they are basically the same bins (except for the removal of the "warts"), but the Cabela version has lesser coatings.

They didn't go into detail about what that meant, but since coatings are one of the main things that separates the curly wolf roof from the girly man roof, I would confirm that with Cabela's before purchasing. Might not be worth the saving$.

I see you are still stuck at 403. I saw a new "lifer" at a nearby duck pond the other day. I was surprised with all the LOUD noise and banging going on across the street with heavy construction that he wasn't frightened away.

Good to have around if your can opener breaks down :):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Great_Blue_Heron_in_Golden_Gate_Park.jpg

I watched it for about 5 minutes (wind was strong so I had to "dig in" the side of the pond to get a steady view). He didn't budge an inch the entire time, but stood still as a statue.

Apparently, Blue Herons are on the rise in my neck of the woods:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/lifestyles/fitness/s_633184.html

Mister Brock

Last edited:
They are the same binocular. The lesser price difference for the Cabela's version is because Cabela's handles all warranty on the Cabela Euro, not Meopta. AFAIK the coatings are not of leser quality on the Cabelas Euro. This has been gone through a LOT on other hunting optics forums. They are the same binocular.

Tero, Brock & Steve - thanks! I had actually read fairly far back into the posts on this forum and had searched quite a few hunting sites for info as well. I was asking for confirmation because I saw a few posts that indicated that there was a difference, although there were were some very informative posts that explained exactly what Steve did! Actually it may have been Steve, since I recognize some of the BF members on these sites as well - different monikers, but I recognize the writing styles & opinions!

Doing this research helped me understand the concept of rebadging that is frequently mentioned in BF optics posts. Odd concept in a way, yet makes sense. Am I also understanding correctly that Meopta makes glass for Swaro and another popular bin company?

Yes, Brock I am "stuck" at 403! Life & work have been a bit interesting lately, so I actually haven't been out birding much. However, I am hoping to bump that number up quite a bit in April!

They are the same binocular. The lesser price difference for the Cabela's version is because Cabela's handles all warranty on the Cabela Euro, not Meopta. AFAIK the coatings are not of leser quality on the Cabelas Euro. This has been gone through a LOT on other hunting optics forums. They are the same binocular.

As Henry likes to say, "Repetition does not mean verification." :)

Steve, Do you think the person posting on Optics Planet's forum as Meopta is not actually an authorized Meopta rep?

Here's what he/she had to say (9th post from top):

Cabela's 10x42 Euro

Post by Meopta on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:52 am

"The Cabela's 10x42 Euro Binocular are made by the Czech company Meopta. Quality, style and comfort wise, they are very similar to the Meostar B1 10.42, but do not have the same rubber armoring, grip and most importantly do not use the same coating as the Meopta brand. However, the Cabela's do test well against ALL tope European brands, including Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss...all for 2/3 to 1/2 the cost!"

Source: http://www.opticsplanet.com/msgboard/about1-9286.html

He/she is from New York, Meopta USA is located in NY.

http://www.meopta.com/en/contact-us-1404041924.html

Also, no challenge to that information from the site administrator who also posted on that thread (post # 11).

Brock

Last edited:
Who knows? ;) This is the first time i have heard that one (actually the second yours is the first).

I am cynical enough I think a company man/woman might well try to sell their Meopta instead of a less expensive Cabela's. A couple of the posters I have read saying they are the same have more credibility with me as they are usually in the loop enough and are almost never proven wrong.

I realize repetition does not mean verification. Neither is one post from a "Meopta" verification either. Looking through the two I sure can see no difference. FWIW the only way I can tell is to look at the binocular to see if it says Cabela's or Meopta.

ALso I have been in two Cabela's Stores. That is where I got the only difference in the armor and warranty business. I bet Cabelas site says that and Meopta's site gives their line. They are so similar I really don't care.

Last edited:
Doing this research helped me understand the concept of rebadging that is frequently mentioned in BF optics posts. Odd concept in a way, yet makes sense. Am I also understanding correctly that Meopta makes glass for Swaro and another popular bin company?

This seems to be a popular claim in the hunting forums (I'm not sure why). I doubt it as Swaro is a glass maker (Swro crystal ... they know how to melt SiO2 and add stuff).

Part of Meopta's business seems to be OEMing for other brands. The Zeiss Diascope is widely believed to be made by Meopta. It is certainly made in the Czech Republic as it carries that on the scopes and eyepeices and I don't know of any other sports/military optical manufacturers in the Czech Republic.

It also seems that they make their "own brand bins" for Cabelas with different armor. Meopta have change their AR design during the life of their current Meopta bins which might have added to the confusion: the earlier Meopta bins had a noticeable yellow bias they are now more neutral (though they have a warm bias from the silver mirror coating). Curiously the Diascaope has a "sunny" bias too. I've always wondered if that was Meopta or a design feature but the redesigned Diascope seems to have retained this "feature" (depending on your view ... some people like it and some don't and some are neutral and some flit back and forth ... like me).

I'm still waiting for Meopta to bring out a updated design with ED objectives and dielectric mirror coating on the prisms. That would put them as the other Central European maker (after Swaro) in a nice position in the upper midrange just under the stratospheric top four.

Ah, that brought up the other question I forgot to include in my original post...the color bias. Another subject of discussion in a multitude of forums that I could not quite decipher. Many posters referred to the yellow bias, which seemed to be preferred by hunters (why?) and some made reference to the fact that they no longer see the yellow bias. I couldn't quite tell if some people are less sensitive to color bias or if there was actually a change in the coatings.

Several posts that I saw mentioned the Meopta contributed to the Diascope and a few other scopes & bins.

Ah, that brought up the other question I forgot to include in my original post...the color bias. Another subject of discussion in a multitude of forums that I could not quite decipher. Many posters referred to the yellow bias, which seemed to be preferred by hunters (why?) and some made reference to the fact that they no longer see the yellow bias. I couldn't quite tell if some people are less sensitive to color bias or if there was actually a change in the coatings.

Several posts that I saw mentioned the Meopta contributed to the Diascope and a few other scopes & bins.

Yes, that was something else I was going to mention, but it appears from Kevin's post that they made the coatings more neutral. I knew they did this with the 8x32 model from Frank D's review and from other reviews of that model, but I didn't know they had changed the bias with the entire line.

Of course, then you have the "Nikon SE Quandary" on your hands. At which serial # did they make the change over? Are you getting new old stock or new, new stock?

Of course, some people wouldn't even know the difference just as some people can't see CA even in a 10x achromatic lens bin! I'm secretly hoping people who can't see CA also can't subtle variations in color on birds as a way of compensating for their dumb luck! :)

Most big game hunting takes place in the winter, the yellow bias helps cut through the "dinge". The older Swaros were the same way. If you ever used "Amber Vision" sunglasses, you get an idea how it works. Put on a pair on a dim, overcast day, and the improved contrast helps you distinguish your "target" from the background whereas before both blended into the general "dinge".

I guess the only way to find out if a Meopta/Cabela Euro has updated more neutral coatings is to try one or order one if there's not a Cabelas near you. They have stores in Buda, Forth Worth, and Allen, TX.

For sure, the 8x32 model has the updated coatings since they never had a previous version. Plus, it's 10 oz. lighter than the 10x42 version. More suited for a Southern Belle's delicate hands.

Although the best choice for might be a Swaro 8x or 10x32 EL so you can have one hand free to hold your parasol. :)

Brock

Last edited:
Who knows? ;) This is the first time i have heard that one (actually the second yours is the first).

I am cynical enough I think a company man/woman might well try to sell their Meopta instead of a less expensive Cabela's. A couple of the posters I have read saying they are the same have more credibility with me as they are usually in the loop enough and are almost never proven wrong.

I realize repetition does not mean verification. Neither is one post from a "Meopta" verification either. Looking through the two I sure can see no difference. FWIW the only way I can tell is to look at the binocular to see if it says Cabela's or Meopta.

ALso I have been in two Cabela's Stores. That is where I got the only difference in the armor and warranty business. I bet Cabelas site says that and Meopta's site gives their line. They are so similar I really don't care.

Steve,

If that was a Meopta company man/women, he/she cleverly walked the line by using the word "different" in describing the coatings rather than "inferior" but also using the term "most importantly," which sort of implies that they might not be as good.

He/she also said the "Cabelas test well against ALL tope [sic] European brands, including Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss".

Meopta makes the "Euro" for Cabela's so they can't diss the bins, but neither do they want to put them above their own brand. So by making these seemingly contradictory statements, you can read whatever you want into it. I think that was their intention.

Since you said you didn't see any difference btwn the two, did you detect a yellow bias in neither or both? Might be hard to say if you only compared them in a store, which probably had fluorescent lighting.

Brock

This southern belle uses Pentax SP 10x50's for most everything! One of the things that I didn't like about the Minox 8x33 HG/MIJ's were the size - they were too small for me to hold comfortably. My EO Rangers are a good size, but I really like the feel & weight of the Pentax & my ZR ED1's. If I were to go the Meostar/Euro route, I am leaning towards the 10x.

I gathered that they had updated the Meopta Meostars and possibly the Euros in terms of the color bias, but again, many of the posts seem variable on this point as well. Thanks for the explanation on the benefit of the yellow bias. I had already thought of the older, been on the shelf for a while scenario, but the case & strap that comes with the bins should be an indicator of the age since they apparently now include the nicer case & strap with the newer bins.

The Cabelas in Ft Worth is about a 40 minute drive from my home and I will head that way this next week. Am curious about the Meostars/Euros. As far as the Swaros - $2000 bins are not in my near future and since I wear glasses, I am not so sure they would work for me any way. I have heard the eye relief is not so great on some of the Swaros and for the money I would have to fork out, I want to see 100% of that stunningly clear field!!!

No offense taken from any perspective! My biggest question was if they had changed the color bias from the experience of those who had already looked through them. (Who knows that I will even notice a color bias of any sort when I look through them!!) I didn't think to ask about the why's & wherefores of the color rendition....until I was typing!!! I probably should have searched that before I stuck the question in my post there! Actually, I am surprise I didn't come across an explanation in any of the posts on any site considering hwo many hours I spent looking for info on the Meoptas!

The link was very informative and thanks so much for posting it! As always - I am awe of those who are more experienced!

Steve,

If that was a Meopta company man/women, he/she cleverly walked the line by using the word "different" in describing the coatings rather than "inferior" but also using the term "most importantly," which sort of implies that they might not be as good.

He/she also said the "Cabelas test well against ALL tope [sic] European brands, including Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss".

Meopta makes the "Euro" for Cabela's so they can't diss the bins, but neither do they want to put them above their own brand. So by making these seemingly contradictory statements, you can read whatever you want into it. I think that was their intention.

Since you said you didn't see any difference btwn the two, did you detect a yellow bias in neither or both? Might be hard to say if you only compared them in a store, which probably had fluorescent lighting.

Brock

Different means different. It does not mean better or worse, it just means different. Why try to read further? You are right about Meopta can't "diss" either since they make both. In the same vein why would they make Cabela's brand worse? Why would Cabela's stand for that? In all probability Meopta agreed to make their Meostar to whatever differences Cabela's specified. Cabela's sure would not (IMO) try to sell a lesser Meopta simply because of the more than obvious family resemblance.

I saw the same yellowish bias in both. The color bias thing is something else that tends to get blown out of reasonable proportion. In spite of a yellow bias (which you notice only for a few seconds and I suspect forget it is even there if you have Meopta/Cabela's binoculars) red still is red, blue is blue, green is green...etc. However, for any pair of human eye balls, there will be either too warm or too cool at some point.

Yeah, it was a store evaluation. Thanks for pointing out the weaknesses of such a thing. I did take both outside and the yellow bias was still there.

A warm, yellowish bias is a nice thing to have on a bright sunny winter day too. That is why my Promaster ELX ED is my winter pickup bin. For those bright snowy days. A warmer bias can also useful for sorting things (even colorful things) out of heavy foliage too (one reason why hunters tend to like it).

Last edited:
Hi Steve, To my eyes the Swarovski 8x30 SLC neu has a neutral bias and when I still had my Nikon 8x32LX and to my eyes the Swaro beat out the Nikon viewing most of the time. One day a Red shouldered hawk landed on the top neutral electric wire about 220 yds. away, I noticed that this hawk stood out more in the Nikon 8x32LX, it seemed a better view to me. The red bias I guess made the difference in this example. This view had a lot of the sky behind it. I guess a lot of times people get used to a binocular and don't even notice a color bias until people start obsessing with it.

Laura I meant with all due respect to the Quants on here. I Should of made myself clear. My wife says I don't always come across easy to understand. I changed my other post.

I have no idea whether the Cabela's and the Meostars are the same but I did notice that Cabela's is apparently cutting $100 off their regular price for their brand for the 10X42 ($699.99) and 12X50 ($799.99).

Different means different. It does not mean better or worse, it just means different. Why try to read further? You are right about Meopta can't "diss" either since they make both. In the same vein why would they make Cabela's brand worse? Why would Cabela's stand for that? In all probability Meopta agreed to make their Meostar to whatever differences Cabela's specified. Cabela's sure would not (IMO) try to sell a lesser Meopta simply because of the more than obvious family resemblance.

I agree, "different" is just "different," but in the context of the sentence I quoted it takes on a more subtle semantic shading. Purposely ambiguous, IMO.

If the Meopta rep hadn't interjected the word "most importantly" between the other two differences, it wouldn't have called my attention to the coatings over the difference in rubber armoring or grip, but read the sentence again and see how he/she made a point of distinguishing the coatings.

"Quality, style and comfort wise, they are very similar to the Meostar B1 10.42, but do not have the same rubber armoring, grip and most importantly do not use the same coating as the Meopta brand."

That subtlety might have gone unnoticed by you, but I think I know a ruse when I see one! The coatings may be "different but equal" but that interpretation is left up to the reader. In your case, that's how you interpreted it and also the way you actually see it.

You do make a good point that Cabela would not sell an inferior version of the Meopta, still I wonder what's "different" about the coatings? To your eyes, apparently nothing but to others, there may be a subtle difference that might cause them to favor one bin over the other.

I saw the same yellowish bias in both. The color bias thing is something else that tends to get blown out of reasonable proportion. In spite of a yellow bias (which you notice only for a few seconds and I suspect forget it is even there if you have Meopta/Cabela's binoculars) red still is red, blue is blue, green is green...etc. However, for any pair of human eye balls, there will be either too warm or too cool at some point.

Glad you added that last point about buyers' preferences for "warmer" or "cooler" coatings, that's partly what I meant about wondering what the differences were btwn the two coatings of the Meopta's B1 and Cabela's "Euro".

For example, take two similar bins made by the same company such as the 8x30 EII and 8x32 SE, which some people have described as looking "very similar" "if not identical" except for the EII's wider FOV.

To me, the difference goes beyond the FOV. The EII's image has a warmer color palette than the SE. The EII shows colors, compared to my baseline eyes, that are a tint or two lighter while the SE shows colors that are a shade or two darker.

This seems obvious to me but sensitivity to subtle color differences are not everyone's forte. It's a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I can see subtle variations in color on birds, a curse because I also see more CA than some people.

Yeah, it was a store evaluation. Thanks for pointing out the weaknesses of such a thing. I did take both outside and the yellow bias was still there.

A warm, yellowish bias is a nice thing to have on a bright sunny winter day too. That is why my Promaster ELX ED is my winter pickup bin. For those bright snowy days. A warmer bias can also useful for sorting things (even colorful things) out of heavy foliage too (one reason why hunters tend to like it).

I can understand the advantage of a slight yellow bias for hunters, perhaps even among some birders, particularly in the winter, but from reading posts on BF and other birding forums, some birders prefer pure whites and as little color bias as possible.

I like the red bias of Nikons. Even with the dielectric coatings, Nikon retained some of this "red shift" with the EDG, though more subtly than the LX/LXLs.

Brock

I finally have a day off and have yet to get out to bird (windy out), so I thought I would give Meopta a call. Odd thing, until I started reading this forum, I never would have thought to just call an optics company!!

At any rate, the gentleman answering my call said the the Meopta Meostars & the Cabelas Euro bins are the EXACT same bins, coatings and all. Said they both have dielectric coatings (he had to check with someone else on this point). He said the ONLY difference is the armor and that if he were to buy one of the 2, he would go with the Euro for the money savings.

the gentleman answering my call said the the Meopta Meostars & the Cabelas Euro bins are the EXACT same bins, coatings and all. Said they both have dielectric coatings (he had to check with someone else on this point).

Interesting that claim of dielectric coatings. We've talked about this before

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=154990

with silly claims from a Meopta person that silver was better than dielectric.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1637416&postcount=46

So I'm not sure who to beleive.

They certainly have the skill e.g.

http://www.meopta.com/en/vacuum-coating-1404042019.html

Maybe that was part of the change from "yellowish" Meoptas to "more neutral" Meoptas with the 8x32.

If someone has measured the transmission versus wavelength we could tell. Silver has a characteristic roll off in the blue and an emphasis on the red.

The surprising thing is its not touted on the sport optics web site or catalog. But then again Zeiss doesn't do this either.

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/EN/downloads/en-sports-optics.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back