• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Meopta Meostar 8x32 B1.1 with a Serial number starting with 160xxx ? (2 Viewers)

Anyone have sharp when the coatings changed? At least 2016 but maybe earlier in 2015? Maybe even possible to pinpoint to (general) serial numbers?

Anyone have sharp when the coatings changed? At least 2016 but maybe earlier in 2015? Maybe even possible to pinpoint to (general) serial numbers?
The pair we had(8x32 B1.1) and sold here, its ser# started with 16 was tact sharp. The next B1.1 we purchased was the 10x32 with ser# starting with 17 being just as sharp as our first pair. We even think both pairs were actually sharper/brighter than the Zeiss 10x32 FL we sold and that FL had the latest coatings being manufactured toward the end of it being discontinued.

Last edited:
My B1.1 starts with 20, so a later version but perfectly sharp. An excellent 8x32 B1.1. In fact at the same time I viewed another 8x32 but returned it since I didn't like the focus mechanism but in terms of sharpness, again...tack on.

My B1.1 starts with 20, so a later version but perfectly sharp. An excellent 8x32 B1.1. In fact at the same time I viewed another 8x32 but returned it since I didn't like the focus mechanism but in terms of sharpness, again...tack on.
One thing that is undeniable, Meopta knows how to build high end world class binoculars and their Meostar 8/10 x32 versions I think are Optically among some of the best 32 mm binocular one can buy today.

It is a crap-shoot getting a Meostar that has no issues with the focus wheel being stiff, chunky/ clunky etc... Not sure what to call it. But I went thru a few which I sent back before I found a good pair. That is why I am so hesitant about buying any used B1.1 I find here or on Ebay, since the odds are the focus wheel isn't smooth. Not sure if they fixed that issue with the B1.1 Plus or not. I haven't tried any, jim

My 12x50 B1+ HD has a very good focuser so far.

My second pair of B1.1's has a nice focuser too... my first was a bit choppy but since then I learned that it is fixed pretty easy. Someone on this site has spoken to it, thus, if I want another pair, I know how to adjust...

Hello,

My Meostar 8x32 B1 is one of the first of the series. I bought it, used but in perfect condition, in 2013. It is my all around binocular, always in my pack and for travel around the world, I will never sell it. Perfect collimation, sharp optics and perfect mechanics.
The number is 802136. Don´t know what this means...

Best!

PHA

Hello,

My Meostar 8x32 B1 is one of the first of the series. I bought it, used but in perfect condition, in 2013. It is my all around binocular, always in my pack and for travel around the world, I will never sell it. Perfect collimation, sharp optics and perfect mechanics.
The number is 802136. Don´t know what this means...

Best!

PHA
I believe 2008 manufacture.

The B1 line dates way back to 2005! (see a page from the Meopta site that I downloaded in 2019):

B1 from 2005.jpg

And by 2009, all but the 15x56 were available (from the earliest catalogue PDF that I have):

Meopta 2009.jpg

The 15x56 was first in a 2014 catalogue.

John

p.s. In terms of HD glass versions:
the 10x42 dates from 2012; the 12x50 from 2014, and; the 15x56 was introduced with HD glass (so no non-HD production).

Good information John....that shows you given the quality and optics of the Meostar 8x32 line (since 2005) , that perhaps optics has pretty much reached a point where you don't need those real expensive Alpha's anymore as what you get for the money, just isn't worth it. I will take the Meostar 8x32 over any Alpha = now... and save myself how much money? :) jim

Good information John....that shows you given the quality and optics of the Meostar 8x32 line (since 2005) , that perhaps optics has pretty much reached a point where you don't need those real expensive Alpha's anymore as what you get for the money, just isn't worth it. I will take the Meostar 8x32 over any Alpha = now... and save myself how much money? :) jim
I totally agree. You see a lot more so called 2nd hand used Alpha x32 mm binoculars for sale sold here or on any other online site than the Meopta Meostar 8x32’s. You do not have to be a Rocket Scientist or should I say a Optical Engineer to figure out why.

A little perspective in size:

The Meopta B1 8x32 side by side with my former 8x32 Swarovski Pure NL. Brought my Meopta for a coffee/bino session and did a brief side by side yesterday.

The Meopta does not disappoint. On its own merits it has everything: compact size, excellent ergonomics, a great eye box and a slight "pop" in the imaging. It is not perfect but it is so good that you can simply use it for anything and it does really well.

As for the Swarovski: it does a few things better, the center resolution is a little better and the image is "calmer" when you look at things with some depth to them. Like a building at an angle where you can pick up CA on the Meostar more easily on the trim siding. Birds on a nearby antenna and a building crane a (short) km away are very crisp and no disturbing CA on either.

Very little fall off towards the edges compared to a Geco 8x32 which we also had at hand for a budget comparison.
The Geco is about as sharp/crisp and virtually CA free but there is a bit of tunnel vision and the image is quite flat and gray in comparison to the Meostar. Looking at the same crane the vignetting in the image / fall off towards the edges was a bit troublesome in the Geco. The Meostar keeps the whole crane in focus and the GECO is deteriorating faster towards the edges of the crane when centered.

In size, the GECO is a little larger than the Meopta. Almost the same but the GECO is more "square" and the Meopta more "tapered". I did not think to take a photo of the two together unfortunately. The GECO is a good size for my hands which made the comparison interesting to me.

Pure NL vs Meostar: tracing mono-chromatic outlines the Swarovski is very relaxing in its view. The Meopta is no slouch and even though it lags behind a little the difference is smaller than the price tag suggests. There is no doubt that the Pure NL is cleaner in the imaging - but it is also a little "gray" compared to the Meostar. Not by much and not disturbing.

I think that the side by side photo is very revealing: the size of the Pure NL hints at the lengths they had to go to to create that optical marvel. In light of that the Meostar is much more compact and I applaud Meopta for making such an easy-to-use and compact binocular that in imaging behaves like a "full sized binocular".

Out of the 8x32 binoculars on the market I think the Pure NL is perhaps the very best. But, at that size it is not as appealing to me as some of the competition.

My friend was also quite impressed with the Meostar. It has no significant drawbacks in use and it makes for a dependable and compact companion.

I took only one photo of the two binos side by side. Both are great in hand and the only advantage of the Meopta is the compact stow away size. Meostar fits my hands perfectly but the Pure NL has nothing against it in hand holding ergonomics. It feels a little awkward with the shape if you come from a "round tubed" binocular but I adjust quickly to it.

Attachments

• IMG_9139.jpeg
    IMG_9139.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 7
A little perspective in size:

The Meopta B1 8x32 side by side with my former 8x32 Swarovski Pure NL. Brought my Meopta for a coffee/bino session and did a brief side by side yesterday.

The Meopta does not disappoint. On its own merits it has everything: compact size, excellent ergonomics, a great eye box and a slight "pop" in the imaging. It is not perfect but it is so good that you can simply use it for anything and it does really well.

As for the Swarovski: it does a few things better, the center resolution is a little better and the image is "calmer" when you look at things with some depth to them. Like a building at an angle where you can pick up CA on the Meostar more easily on the trim siding. Birds on a nearby antenna and a building crane a (short) km away are very crisp and no disturbing CA on either.

Very little fall off towards the edges compared to a Geco 8x32 which we also had at hand for a budget comparison.
The Geco is about as sharp/crisp and virtually CA free but there is a bit of tunnel vision and the image is quite flat and gray in comparison to the Meostar. Looking at the same crane the vignetting in the image / fall off towards the edges was a bit troublesome in the Geco. The Meostar keeps the whole crane in focus and the GECO is deteriorating faster towards the edges of the crane when centered.

In size, the GECO is a little larger than the Meopta. Almost the same but the GECO is more "square" and the Meopta more "tapered". I did not think to take a photo of the two together unfortunately. The GECO is a good size for my hands which made the comparison interesting to me.

Pure NL vs Meostar: tracing mono-chromatic outlines the Swarovski is very relaxing in its view. The Meopta is no slouch and even though it lags behind a little the difference is smaller than the price tag suggests. There is no doubt that the Pure NL is cleaner in the imaging - but it is also a little "gray" compared to the Meostar. Not by much and not disturbing.

I think that the side by side photo is very revealing: the size of the Pure NL hints at the lengths they had to go to to create that optical marvel. In light of that the Meostar is much more compact and I applaud Meopta for making such an easy-to-use and compact binocular that in imaging behaves like a "full sized binocular".

Out of the 8x32 binoculars on the market I think the Pure NL is perhaps the very best. But, at that size it is not as appealing to me as some of the competition.

My friend was also quite impressed with the Meostar. It has no significant drawbacks in use and it makes for a dependable and compact companion.

I took only one photo of the two binos side by side. Both are great in hand and the only advantage of the Meopta is the compact stow away size. Meostar fits my hands perfectly but the Pure NL has nothing against it in hand holding ergonomics. It feels a little awkward with the shape if you come from a "round tubed" binocular but I adjust quickly to it.
For the price, it’s hard to beat the Meopta Meostar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back