• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you wished for a bird in your Garden, what would it be? (1 Viewer)

I've had red and white breasted nuthatches, blue jays, chickadees, downy woodpecker, fairly regularly - but would love to see a Baltimore Orioles - they are around, but not in the suburban area I live in - more on the wilder wooded areas. A couple of times a year would be good. I've also once had a common yellowthroat in the yard beside the pond, just for a couple of days, but would love to see it again.

Ivory-Billed Woodpecker :p

But, ok to be realistic... hmm...
A scissor-tailed flycatcher would be nice (Not QUITE as rare as IBW, but still, probably no chance.)

For me it be a Green Woodpecker I've never seen one y

I'd love to see one in my garden too, although it's more likely here as the local area is absolutely stuffed full of them! :t: Sorry Euan. ;)

That's one thing I like about coming to the forum, I hear about the birds other people see all the time and do get a bit envious but then they mention a bird they'd like to see which is common where you are and it puts that into perspective. You know what they say... the woodpeckers are always greener on the other side of the country.

...I'll get me coat. :gn:

I would love to see any kind of woodpecker in our garden - we live in Ireland so I don't hold out much hope even though they have been spotted a couple of times around the country. Our very small garden backs onto a wooded bank and so far we have had a pair of Bullfinches, a family of Jays (5 of them!) and a pair of Jackdaws all hanging off our nut feeder - not at the same time of course!! We've also got 3 fox cubs which we feed every night......hmmmm maybe I am being a bit greedy with a woodpecker!

You never know Sharon, you may get one yet down Wicklow way.

There are loads of birds I would love to see in my garden, woodpeckers being one of them, but if I was to choose any it would would have to be an owl.Now living in Ireland I would count out Tawney and Little Owls. Barn Owl would be my absolute must but these are rare and unlikely in Monaghan. Long Eared Owl would be the most possible and they do breed around here.

Heres hoping then.

It would have to be a Great Spotted Woodpecker or any other woodpecker, the Great spotted woodpecker Is In the school wood over the road, so I would like to see It In my garden.

Hey,

i would really like Goldcrest by far my favourite bird closely followed by long tailed tits which i have had the pleasure of:)

Karpman

Another vote for Baltimore Oriole. I don't have the right setting for them to nest, but I'd settle for one or two passing by. Have put out orange feeders, jelly, nectar, but so far no luck.

Barn Owl would be my absolute must but these are rare and unlikely in Monaghan.

We have them in Co. Leitrim, so; Ye never know! :t:

Me? Corncrake. Seriously! It'd only be about as fanciful as Monahawk's Barnie. They're about. I'm isolated in the middle of farmland. It could happen B :)

Hello there

As a life long keen bird lover. I would love to see a Bullfinch in my garden. That is my OH's biggest wish, and I feel the same way.

Yes, a male and female Bullfinch would go down very well with us. A Serin would be nice too, as they look like Siskens. We want to se the differences for ourselves.

We have seen most of the mainstream birds, and we would just like that taste of the more unusal birds

Three pairs of Bulls feeding with me in the snow last Sun. Honysuckle buds.

For me it would be Yellowhammer or Tree Sparrow.moving in the new year and you do see them in and around the village we are moving to so fingers crossed watch this space

There is a Tawny Owl that is calling somewhere nearby, just wish I could look out one morning and its there in our garden.
We had a Redwing today and last week we had a female Blackcap for a few days.

At one time waxwing was my dream bird, but last February I had that dream fulfilled. I was working on the computer and saw a flock of waxwings settle in the oak tree at the bottom of the garden, calling out to my wife to come look, she told me that she was watching a flock of them in the ash tree at the side of the house! Both flocks came together in the ash tree and I managed to grab some shots. Roughly 150 birds in the flock, absolutely made my day.
Now my dream bird would be lesser spotted woodpecker, I've had both green and great spotted in the garden.

Attachments

• Waxwings Feb 0920090201_0029.JPG
    Waxwings Feb 0920090201_0029.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 91
  • Waxwings Feb 0920090201_0022.JPG
    Waxwings Feb 0920090201_0022.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 96
laughing kookaburra, rainbow bee-eater or the eastern spinebill. I see them around, but I never see them in our garden... it would be a treat :)

Would love to see a long tailed tit or even better a stork which would be unlikely in our area but would make my day! :)

I have been lucky to see many different birds on the five acres I have but one bird that I only saw once on a canoe trip is the Red Headed Woodpecker. It would be great for that one to pay me a visit.

As a fairly recent birder, I just like to have a wren, haven't seen one yet (or if I have I didn't know : )

Do have a green woodpecker occassionally and two goldfinches now visit daily.

What do I need to do to get a wren? (the nyjer seed worked for the goldfinches)

Mary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back