• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID. Jacksonville Florida (1 Viewer)

Newton-W

I shot this today, 5/8/15 at Sheffield Park. Terrible image, but it was far off and against the sky. I messed with it in my RAW editor, but the colors are faithful.
Thanks in advance,

-Newton

Attachments

• Unknown-1a.jpg
    Unknown-1a.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 113
Hope you don't mind Newton but I lightened the image. If you do have objections, let me now and I'll remove the lightened version ;)

Attachments

• Unknown-1a2.jpg
    Unknown-1a2.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 78
Hope you don't mind Newton but I lightened the image. If you do have objections, let me now and I'll remove the lightened version ;)

No objections at all. I lightened it as much as I dared, without getting noise into it, with Digital Photo Pro (Canon), and bumped up the Saturation. But, as mentioned, the colors are accurate, although duller than when I was looking through the lens. I just haven't yet mastered shooting against a bright sky, particularly with such a small, far off target.
BTW, if it will help, the bird was about the size of a Cardinal.

EDIT: I just popped it over to my secondary monitor, and see why people are thinking it is dark. I can see the yellow on my laptop monitor, but not on my secondary.

-Newton

Last edited:
I'm headed back up there tomorrow so, hopefully, I'll solve this ID. with a better shot :t:

Thanks to all who gave it a shot, this image leaves a lot to be desired.

-Newton

According to eBird Painted Buntings are regular at the location, while Dickcissel would be a rarity in the Jacksonville area. Also, Dickcissels don't have yellow bellies or vents; the yellow in the photo appears strongest in the belly and vent area.

Looks good for female Painted Bunting with the yellow underparts, stout bill with a pinkish lower mandible and square tipped tail. The only other N.A. seedeaters that it could be are the Goldfinches and American would have a much finer bill and obvious white undertail coverts while a vagrant Lesser would have an all dark bill and both would have a distinct fork to the tail tip.

MY first impression was Painted Bunting female also, in fact, I was there to get some shots of the Painted Buntings, and Indigo's that are reported to be there now.

I hope to be there within the hour to see if they are still there.

Thanks all,

-Newton

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back