• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bewick's Swan - Cambs,UK - Is it? (1 Viewer)

Thanks everyone. Looks like as we get older, and,supposedly, more experienced, we get a bit clouded and try to look too deep. When I was a lad, and used to spend days and days in the winter just watching the swans, I could tell a Bewick's a mile off, even without bins, just by it's look and shape. Bewick's and Whoopers, seemed to me, back then, as different as chalk and cheese. Nowadays', I look over the bird several times, and then still can't make my mind up!
Having said that, when you see them both on the ground together, they are easy to tell. It's when they are up in the sky, on their own, that it gets more difficult.

It's a Bewick. There is much less yellow on bill. Whooper yellow projects to below nostril.

It's a Bewick. There is much less yellow on bill. Whooper yellow projects to below nostril.

The picture above? read previoous comments about foreshortening in the photo and check again, the yellow passes below the nostril. Whooper

Double Whooper ;-)

Not allways good to crop a picture. Crop can make a species more difficult to identify as in this case.

No offence!

Just showed the original picture to wife and daughter - both immediately called Whooper. That was my first thought too. I don't think there's anyway, even with foreshortening, that the yellow would show the rounded,concave form of a Bewick.

cheers
Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back