• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper Hampshire UK 7/4/23 (1 Viewer)

StephenHampshire

United Kingdom
I'm trying to positively id this wader, seen today in a local watercress bed. I'm thinking Green Sandpiper in intermediate moult. I have seen Green Sandpipers in this spot most winters, but this looks different, much less monochrome. My overall impression in the flesh (I only had basic binos with me today) was a brown bird, spotted on the back with a pale grey head and white eye ring. Slender bill and prominent bars on tail. quite a dainty bird (could compare it to moorhen in close proximity, quite a bit smaller) It did a few tail dips but nowhere near as many as Greens that I have seen here in previous years. I didn't see a clear stripe past the eye, but there were faint lines of white dots behind the eye. I thought there was an outside chance of aWood Sandpiper, which are seen locally, although normally in late summer. Some reported in April in 2019 and 2020 though. Any thoughts- see photos attached, apologies they are heavy crops from a zoom, although full frame sensor)IMGP3492_DxO_edited - Copy.jpgIMGP3496_DxO_edited - Copy.jpg

It's a Green Sandpiper. Note the three broad bars on the tail, rather than the larger number of narrower bars you would get on Wood.

Definitely three bars, I saw those clearly. Thank you (PS Thanks for the link, that didn't come up when I googled. Mind you based on that I'm going for Solitary Sandpiper ha ha!)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back