• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding bogey birds (1 Viewer)

Birds 4ever

Is it just me or do non-birders see rare birds you
Eventhough my British list is on 131, I've got lots and lots of common birds missing. Here's the list:

Lesser redpolls
Siskins
Bramblings
Red legged partridges
Tawny owls
Lesser spotted woodpeckers

and so on....

As it is winter, I'll be trying to find all the wintering finches like siskins, but how can I find those birds?
I check alot of alders in hope of finches, but I only get goldies. Also, tawny - where and how do I find them?

I might update the list if I find some.....

brambling like beech or you might find them in fields you have a better chance of finding them if you scan chafinch flocks in suitable habitat, there have been lots at slimbridge recently(although rather far away for you)

the finches are often found in flocks in pine/alder woodland often with crossbills, listen for the calls as they are often the thing that makes you aware of them.forest of dean is great for them,(even further from oxford than slimbridge though)

Tawny owls are best to look for in the day, listen for a big comotion of blackbirds and tits and other birds, usually in broad leafed woodland but there are also some urban birds (cant help with places as the only places i have seen them are in local woods to me)

woodpeckers are rarely seen tagging allong in tit/goldcrest flocks in winterat other times of the year listen for a quiet great spot and you might be in luck(again cannot help with locations)

I cannot help with partridges as i have not seen them either :-C

Eventhough my British list is on 131, I've got lots and lots of common birds missing. Here's the list:

Lesser redpolls
Siskins
Bramblings
Red legged partridges
Tawny owls
Lesser spotted woodpeckers

Come to Strumpshaw Fen RSPB in Norfolk, we have all the above species in the workshop yard on a good day, minus Lesser spotted woodpecker, which can be seen in the woodlands if your lucky (spring is best for them)

You should be able to find Red Legged Partridge on any country fields (especially when there is no plant growth). Tawnys will be in most large woods, hearing them will be easier than seeing them. The others would benefit from local advice, most counties have email groups that share information, so might be worth looking for one local to you, the users will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

As a beginner birder,you don't really need to be targeting specific species.
Much better to get a local patch and bird it regularly.New birds will come along while you are getting to know the really common ones.
Don't really know the Oxford area,but Farmoor Res and Otmoor RSPB are possibilities.
You will probably meet more experienced local birders,who you can hopefully learn from.
It's not all about seeing new birds,but at your early stage they should still be coming regularly without having to chase specific birds(that will probably come later !).
It should be an exciting time ,with lots of new birds to look forward to,and lots to learn.
Enjoy.

Tawnies are calling quite frequently (at least around my way) at this time of year - in suburban areas they're not difficult to find when vocal.

Bolderwood in the New Forest is pretty good for Siskins, but as is any forested location around there (especially if there are feeders).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back