• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baggeridge (1 Viewer)

Stonechat2

Tooty Fruity Member
Hi all,
Today i went to Baggeridge country park, i arrived at about 7:45 and was greeted by my first ever Blackcap, they are wonderful litlle birds. I then got a great view of a great spotted. I then carried on and sat down on a bench giving a great view, as i was sitting a female great tit keep flying about a metre away from me and i thought to myself, i have another nuthatch, but it wasn't of course. Somebody had left nuts on the post in frount of me and she wanted the nuts but was a bit weary of me, so i decided to move on. I then went by a pond and heard a comotion, it was canada goose warning a squirell. There were no Great crested grebes on the pond which suprised me as they normally are, probably just late arriving. I then went into the forest at himley hall and saw a female lesser spotted woodpecker, i also heard a green woodpecker but could not see it. I then continued and saw three nuthatches and chiff chaffs along with a couple of Goldcrests. I then continued onto farmland asnd saw a mystery bird, i didn't notice it until it flew, it flew low and had a very loud alarm call it was in the field about 20 metres from woodland, it was a phesant sized bird and was a goldy, briwn colour, any ideas. I then went into some more woodland and saw my first treecreeper along with another Nuthatch. In the air there were 4 Buzzard flying quite low and later on 2 Sparrowhawks patrolling the area. At this time it was about 1:45 and so i decided to head back, to my suprise i saw my First ever Swallow sitting on a wire about 20 yards from me, it must have arrived that morning as i didn't see it om my way past in the morning, there were only 2 Swallows there so they were ahead of the rest i presume.
A very enjoyable day, Steven

Hi Steven, what a great day! How many lifers there!?!

My guess at your mystery bird would be Red-legged Partridge, quite a bit smaller than a Pheasant but distance and light can deceive and they have a loud alarm call. Did you hear a 'whirring' of wings as it flew off?

Enjoy the rest of your Easter Holiday!! (I'm jealous)!

Regards,

Just the three lifers today Darren,
I really can't remember anything except for those few detaild, i was startled and could,nt get focused in time to take accurate notes. I would of followed it to where it landed but it was in the middle of the field and the farmer was in his garden, i didn't want to risk getting shot at with hard, dried rabbit poo, well that is suppose to happen.

Ha Ha!That would be an awful lot of rabbit droppings Steven.

There was a case of a Pratincole on private land a few years back, where 2 eminent birders went to see it, hid in a bush and got sprayed with manure by a farmer! As I recall, their car broke down on the way home and they had to take public transport! That would have been pleasant for their fellow travellers as it was a hot summers day!

I guess seeing the Ptratincloe more than made up for their blushes!

Sounds like you had a great day, Steven! And I'm envious of your Lesser spotted! I'll have to pop over to have a look at Himley, as I haven't been over there yet!

Can't think what your mystery bird is . . . darren is probably right in that it was a partridge, but could it have been a female peasant, er, pheasant?

Stay clear of the rabbits!

Al

I would agree with Monkeyman's 2nd assessment of it possibly being a female Pheasant.

Excellent day there Steven, especially the Lesser spotted Woodpecker. That is an excellent find for a seasoned birder never mind someone that is new to the Hobby. Well done.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back