• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where are the sparrows? (1 Viewer)

thewhites

we have only started recording the type of birds that visit our garden this year and so far are up to a reasonably respectable 20 different types. all the usuals - robin, blackbird, 4 type of tits etc. however, as a complete novice, if you had asked me at the outset what i would expect to see, high up on the list would be the humble sparrow.

we havent had a single one and have not even spotted any when out and about. where have they all gone? there is quite a popular thread listing what has been in your garden perhaps one should run where you list notable absentees.

Do you have any dense hedges or bushes for cover? I don't get many different sparrows - only three-- in my yard but a short walk on a dirt road with an overgrown fence row, has lead to 11 different sparrows.

thewhites said:
oh yes plenty of bushes and hedges, the house is actually next to woodland but no sign of any sparrows

According to the RSPB Website the house sparrow is in decline in many areas,the reason for this is not fully understood.
I wonder if the fashion for UPVC Fascia boards is discouraging birds from nesting in eaves etc.
Co-incidentally I saw a house sparrow in my neighbours garden yesterday,the first in years.

I have nothing but house and hedge sparrows at the moment. They have increased in the last month. Blue tits, green finches, gold finches, long tailed tits in decline. They tend to stay in the local woodland. Great tits, starling, black birds, robins and song thrushes are about the same.

I see tons of sparrows every day here. They are all over. I dont get many of them at feeders but in confirous trees i get a lot of them. I dont even try to attract and they just come. Good Luck!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back