• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (3 Viewers)

Always a pleasure to dip into this thread from time to time. Hmm, book on Central Asia, see that one will likely end up on my shelf. Quite fancy a couple of trips out there in the next year or two.

And again - you bring an unfamliar bird to my monitor and immediately I can sense the way it moves, scowls around and really lives. Matty's word is spot-on; stellar!

And again - you bring an unfamliar bird to my monitor and immediately I can sense the way it moves, scowls around and really lives. Matty's word is spot-on; stellar!

that will do perfectly, and saves me thinking of my own response! :t: Tim's words are spot on.

I think I'll be echoing Tim as well. Your sketches and paintings are always breathtaking to behold. :)

Another example of quite superb fieldwork. It does indeed seem a species to get the juices flowing! Brilliant stuff and pure inspiration. I need to get away from moorhens it seems!

Russ

Tim and Nick (as usual) say it perfectly - my thoughts exactly. I like the combination of a couple images with color to get the full sense of the bird, coupled with the other sketches that bring it to life beyond just its looks.
Excellent!

Getting that much detail into fieldwork and retaining the spontineity and life of the subject is astounding.

Mike

Blimey doesn't time pass....oh well, I saw the OTD on Tuesday at least!! B :)
Have been a bit fed-up with the whole painting malarky lately...have even gone back doing some driving instructing and thinking I can earn over £100 for a little over 4hrs work doing this so don't know why I bother painting illustrations for peanuts....but that's another story! So having an artistic negative phase at present ;)
Been working on a few illstrations for the revamping of the Indian Subcontinent fieldguide (let's hope they sort out that poxy taxonomic order this time as the original has to be the most user-unfriendly book I've ever used!) and have 3 new plates to do for it including the pittas which will be nice!

Indian Sub - female andaman (left) & grey-fronted green-pigeons (Large).jpgIndian sub - pompadour green-pigeon (Large).jpgIndian sub - nicobar imperial-pigeon (Large).jpg

(Sorry about the pic quality but the light was sh*te!)
Also, about to paint something a bit different for a change and try to tackle water again for the first time in absolutely ages....eek!! Maybe it'll relax me enough to get me back into the groove...then again.....:-O

malachite initial layout (Large).jpg

Blimey doesn't time pass....oh well, I saw the OTD on Tuesday at least!! B :)
Have been a bit fed-up with the whole painting malarky lately...have even gone back doing some driving instructing and thinking I can earn over £100 for a little over 4hrs work doing this so don't know why I bother painting illustrations for peanuts....but that's another story! So having an artistic negative phase at present ;)

View attachment 308971

welcome back on here- even if fed-up! its a depressing fact o' lifethat there's no premium rate in the bird illustration world for pearling work like this

Hi Adam - I would echo Ed's welcome. Good to see some more great illustrations. I reckon I could probably learn to be a driving instructor but I will never be able to paint birds like you do.

Thanks guys.....off to Israel in 4 weeks so maybe that pull my spirits up a bit. Sitting around Rainham for nearly 8hrs yday for the second time for nothing certainly didn't.....and then for a mate to phone me this morning having seen that damned gull on his first attempt was just plain sickening.....grrrrr, poxy stupid birds!!! ;)

I echo Graham's comments - I have an outstanding driving record, but don't know that I'll ever reach the pinnacle of bird art that you and the other luminaries here in the forum have reached. The process of trying to get there, however, is extremely rewarding. Thanks for your work being a motivation to get there.

I've been thinking about a job in Tesco's, Ads. I think you'll find the spark again soon - just need to get the prescribed work out of the way.

Must be the time of year.

That kingfisher would be enough to raise my spirits though, if I'd drawn it!

Mike

yes, art pays peanuts it's certain - even such high quality work as yours (which just keeps on getting better and better) - when I first saw your work (at that awful Institute of Directors) I have to admit I wasn't overly keen, it felt dark and worried, but over a bit more than a decade, I've seen what you do develop into something astonishing - accurate, bright - beautiful.

I try to keep the financial side of art separate to my dayjob - for me giving English lessons earns the rent, and the odd sold picture or commission is a bonus.

Doubt I could ever become a driving instructor though, still takes me several attempts to drive frontways into a space and I avoid feeder lanes as often as I can.

This new lot of work is excellent - I wish we had pigeons like that here!

very subtle colors in the new works....

very chilling to thing someone of your talent and skills cannot make some sort of living from the art...with all the years and experience...but thinking back a lot of the bird artists had day jobs, maybe teaching, or science, or illustration....good thing love and passion keep you going.

Intended to just catch up on the new posts, and ended up reading back through the entire thread ... adore your field work, absolutely stunning stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back