• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Auk at Flamborough (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
This post is in response to Lee Evan's ignorant twitter message "Looks like somebody at Flamborough requires a return visit to SpecSavers!".

This is referring to my sighting of a Little Auk at Flamborough this morning, 28 June.

RBA didn't help by omitting to say that the bird was flying north before it landed on the sea. I picked it up at 0905 hrs. this morning and it was immediately obvious what it was - a very small auk, with a small black head and typical Little Auk flight. There were plenty of Puffins, Guillemots and Razorbills around all the time. As it came closer I could see the white trailing edge to the secondaries. It then landed on the sea, in the same field of view as several Guillemots and Razorbills, and its small size was very obvious. Razorbill and Guillemot chicks are now around, but I judge that they are bigger than Little Auk, and of course they can't yet fly, and by the time they have grown their remiges they will be of similar size to the adults.

As I was still looking at the bird Andrew Lassey arrived, but did not have his 'scope with him. He bent over to look through mine (I was sitting down), but couldn't see it. I soon found the bird again but once more Andrew couldn't see it, but then he was effectively looking almost upside down. This time I couldn't refind it, and as it had been fairly easy before, I thought it had maybe carried on north.

I expected this would be the first June record for Flamborough, but on checking back home I found that this was not the case.

Had Lee had the courtesy to ring me (he knows full well I watch at Flamborough), I could have detailed the sighting for him. I am disappointed in his response, but perhaps I shouldn't have expected better.

Brett

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back