• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Happy Days in North Wales and the Peak District (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

I have to be very careful to make the most of days out with my family and remember that they are not as mad about birds as me!

We spent Easter Sunday at Betws-y-Coed on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park. It was very busy with tourists but not unpleasant, and we had a lovely walk along the river behind the golf course. I hoped to see Dipper and Yellow Wagtail, but saw neither. Instead there was a pair of Common Sandpipers. I was very surprised to see these, until I looked up that they are normally freshwater birds. I've only seen them in estuaries and along seashores before.

However, the undoubted highlight of the day was a pair of Hen Harriers. We had several brilliant view of these soaring overhead and getting a hard time from the corvids.

The following day we went to Ilam Park in the Peak District. Husband and son went off climbing peaks while I had a very pleasant and uncrowded walk along the River Manifold. Dippers galore here. Great close up views in several places, bobbing up and down on the rocks. The valley was full of Warblers: Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. Swallows had taken possession all over the youth hostel building and Jackdaws obviously had nests in the church and other buildings. A further surprise was 2-3 pairs of Mandarin Ducks in the river. I had to look up habitat again as I've only seen them either on our local reservoir or in collections. They were really close, swimming in the open rather than hiding under the hanging vegetation.

When our son moved away from home, I was very upset. But the upside is that he lives near some wonderful birding locations!

Sorry that there are no pics to share

Pat

Sounds like you had a good couple of days, Pat. I live about 30 minutes drive from Ilam and it's such a beautiful place that we make fairly regular visits. You really can't beat seeing the Dippers along the river there. And yes Mandarins do breed along the river too in quite good numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back