• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sabah, Borneo PART 3 : Sepilok & RDC (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

And on we go ;)

1. Ashy Minivet ?
2. Again I thought Malkoha but again I can't find a fit !
3. Sorry about the OOF - this was actually in the background of an in-focus shot. Doesn't look like a Glossy with those wings.
4. Yellow Vented Bulbul but that doesn't look right comparing to the pics in Phillipp's.
5. Bulbul ?

Attachments

• DSC_0963-M.jpg
    DSC_0963-M.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0938-L.jpg
    DSC_0938-L.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0948-M.jpg
    DSC_0948-M.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0961-XL.jpg
    DSC_0961-XL.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0955-L.jpg
    DSC_0955-L.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 60
4 and 5 (and I think 1 also) are yellow-vented bulbuls.

2 is a trogon, but I'd have to look at a field guide to be more precise (someone better than I will be along soon).

And an out of focus swiftlet? Dream on.

2 - It isn't a Trogon, structure is wrong. I think its a Black and Red Broadbill at an odd angle, the white in the wing pushed up high so not obvious

Hmm. Missed the white line. I thought it was part of the back-ground. But I can see it now.

I agree with Mark now.

1 - is also a Yellow-vented Bulbul
2 - It isn't a Trogon, structure is wrong. I think its a Black and Red Broadbill at an odd angle, the white in the wing pushed up high so not obvious and with the head turned away, the black upper breast necklace again lost with the angle. Shame, the bill is spectacular! - http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=14&Bird_ID=1330&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1
3 - I reckon an Edible-nest Swiftlet ;)

Haha ! Well done if you can recognise the swiftlet's nest at that height ;)

I do have some better (though noisy, very early a.m.) shots of the B&R Broadbill, in fact I am sure one was taken with flash, and you are right, it's a spectacular bill/bird.

Indeed, that broadbill is one mega bird - I have them breeding 10 minutes from my place, love them.

The swiftlets at Sepilok are predominately Black-nest, though Edible-nest is quite numerous (ever so slightly paler rump is the one distinguishing feature). Unfortunately Mossy-nest is only id'd from Black-nest on the nest...

James

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back