• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EO Raven 8.5x32 or Leupold Yosemite 8x30? (1 Viewer)

Bosque

Howdy,

My dad lost his binoculars and is needing a new pair. He doesn't bird all that much, but we go out occasionally together. I'm trying to steer him to something in the $100 range so he doesn't drop a whole bunch on something he won't use that much. I've been looking pretty much just at porros because of the budget but wanting ok optics. Waterproof is required, as they'll get used from a sailboat or kayak at least once before they get dropped in the water.

His last pair were 12x28 Steiner roofs, which were just zoomed in fuzzy and dark, but he keeps thinking that more magnification is better otherwise I'd be asking about the 6.5x and 6x versions.

He thought the Pentax PCF WP II 8x40 were to heavy, so that goes for the Nikon Action EX models also.

I've heard the Yosemites are a great bang for the buck, and the Ravens are in specs basically the same, but $30 more. I'm trying to steer him towards the Yosemite, but is there a reason to go for the Ravens, or something else in the price range?

Here is a better idea.

Buy a Yosemite for yourself first and then let him use it. Then kind of "forget" he has it. :t: (I never tried the Raven.)

Bob

Get him the 6x Yo or the 6.5 Raven/Raptor and tell him it's 8x. I guess that sort of depends on how old he is and how steady his hand is. The Raven and Yosemite side by side comparison actually favors the Raven to a small degree. The Raven is a bit brighter in appearance of the image. Also for my eyes, the 6.5x is just enough bump that the 6.5 image looks just a bit bigger. The 6x versions are brighter and sharper than the 8x sibling.

Hey, just get him one of each and keep the one he doesn't want for yourself. They are a great secondary glass.

Hi my Dad has the 8.5x Raptors. He really likes them. Lightweight, sharp image, got the porro 3D thing. Only complaint so far is that the focus stiffens up on the coldest days.

The eyerelief is right for his glasses but not for mine so better try before you buy if your Dad wears specs.

When he bought them we compared them to ten or more other bins (mostly roofs) up to £300 in price (he was willing to spend up to that) and the Raptors won the contest. That's probably the best thing I can say about them.

Never tried the Yosemites so can't comment.

I love the Yosemites but I really don't trust them (or any other externally focused porros) to be really immersion proofed. If you're just going to splash them they'll be OK but you you see dropping them in the drink in their future then a cheap (but OK) set of roofs might be nearer the mark: Zen Ray ZRS and similar come to mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back