• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo editing for iMac (1 Viewer)

RE Birder

Birding not twitching
I currently edit photos from my Canon SX 40 on a laptop using the Canon DPP editing software.

I normally crop, sort sharpening/brightness etc then resize for web.

Can anyone recommended a programme for the iMac that will suit my needs... I think photoshop may be a bit to advanced

Also, with the iMac are the programme downloaded, like an app

Thanks for any help you can pass

Josh

Well you can continue to use DPP..............it'll work on your imac.

The free software that came with your imac (iphoto) can also be used to organize and catalogue your photos. Picasa (free download) is another alternative.

If you want to pay there are lots of options out there. I use Lightroom which I would highly recommend but it may be overkill for your needs.

I use Photoshop Elements on my Mac. It doesn't have all the features of the full Photoshop software, but for basic photo editing it's more than sufficient. It's also only about a tenth of the price of Photoshop.

I think the latest version requires OS X, so you would need to check that it will run on your computer. If not, even an older version will probably be enough for your needs.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm

I use Photoshop now but before that I used Pixelmator. It is a very reasonably priced application which is designed specially for OS X and runs perfectly on my iMac. It covers all the usual photo editing requirements, except for raw but I assume your Canon DPP could do raw conversions for you.

You can download a trial version and purchase it after a month if you are happy with it. Website here.

Ron

I currently edit photos from my Canon SX 40 on a laptop using the Canon DPP editing software.

I normally crop, sort sharpening/brightness etc then resize for web.

Can anyone recommended a programme for the iMac that will suit my needs... I think photoshop may be a bit to advanced

Also, with the iMac are the programme downloaded, like an app

Thanks for any help you can pass

Josh

well, I'm not a Photoshop guy... as a photo editing beginner, I use PhotoStudio, much easier to edit photos with, it has functions of sharpen photo which are blurry, basic editing tools like crop, rotate and color management are also realizable.

hi on my imac I use the Iphoto as a catalogue and use pse for editing you can assign iTunes to do this. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back