• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alleged illegal killing of a protected hen harrier (RSPB) (1 Viewer)

Unbelievable. I bet if a similar video showed a chav vandalising his car, the prosecutor would have no difficulty using it.

I've just seen the video.. How the **** can that **** be getting away with this.

Will keep details of his defence lawyer! To a 'lay' person it doesn't show him pulling the trigger but shots seem to come from the right and he enters the frame from the front. That said there can be no doubt that he was involved in the incident!

There must have been more to the case as I can't believe that there had been 8 hearings pre-trial before the crown prosecution decided they didn't have enough evidence. Or maybe they have decided he has 'suffered' hardship by losing job etc.
As Scotland has vicarious liability the landowner has probably done this (sacked employee) to protect himself not the gamekeeper.

It stinks - maybe the RSPB should fund a private prosecution in this incident. As I said I can't see how you can get through 8 hearings without a fairly strong case...

Apparently, the Crown prosecution service decided that the RSPB “deployed" the camera "for prosecution purposes” which evidently made it inadmissible. The RSPB counter-claims that it was part of a larger bog standard means of monitoring birds for conservation purposes. It's a shame this wasn't tested in court as, in a number of cases involving wildlife crime, such video evidence has been accepted even when the objective was openly to catch out criminality. Yet CCTV in urban areas is regularly backed by the authorities as a means to catch criminals in areas where they are likely to be active. As the law hasn't changed recently then it's difficult to see why it took the authorities so long and at such huge cost. A pity that the decision wasn't made just before the (non)debate on grouse shooting in Westminster Hall but then that was never going to happen ...

Unfortunately, I think that the RSPB has made a huge tactical error in publishing this video footage on the day that the media was, predictably, bound to be focussed on the election results.

Last edited:
I make no apologies for venting my anger!

Mr Christopher Moran

"Mr Christopher Moran hit the headlines in the early 1980s when he was sacked from Lloyds of London after an inquiry found he had taken extra profit commission".

Selfish bath terds like this shouldn't be buried at all - he's got a 46,000 acre estate (for 20 yrs) and can't give up a third of an acre for the real residents - and he thinks he owns a chunk of Scotland - ha..ha...ha..haaaa.

Investigate Mr Christopher Moran thouroughly - I just know he would end up locked up.

Last edited:
It appears that the Glenfiddich estate, which he owns, has previous form for breaching wildlife see http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...er_set_to_make_millions_from_Moray_wind_farm/ It's also very odd that someone with his connections doesn't appear to have a Wikipedia entry. Presumably, he styles himself "Dr" because he's been given the honorary degree (as noted on his website) and whilst this seems to have been given for exemplary service to the community in Northern Ireland, I always thought it considered rather naff to actually style yourself as such. It's also odd that a man with such an apparently high regard for our history seems not to have an equal concern for our Natural History.

In fairness he would be able to see the graveyard extension from his house but then he's happy for everyone to see 59 wind turbines for miles and miles around! What's more stupid is that he thinks they will increase tourism...

With numerous wildlife convictions this estate should be bang to rights!

Assuming there is a connection I will no longer be serving Glenfiddich in my restaurant...

In fairness he would be able to see the graveyard extension from his house but then he's happy for everyone to see 59 wind turbines for miles and miles around! What's more stupid is that he thinks they will increase tourism...

With numerous wildlife convictions this estate should be bang to rights!

Assuming there is a connection I will no longer be serving Glenfiddich in my restaurant...

I stopped drinking it many years ago for the excellent reason that there are many better malts, but I shan't be restarting in the foreseeable future.

John

Glenfiddich is owned by the long established Scottish family firm of William Grant & Sons and has no connection, other than a geographical one, as far as I can discover with the nouveau riche Anglo-Irish Christopher Moran.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back