• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What as fantastic day!!! (1 Viewer)

Stonechat2

Tooty Fruity Member
Hi all,

Today me Reader, Ross (his wife) went to Shrewsbury in search of spotted and pied flycatchers. Our first stop was at a place called Bridges. We had only just go there and i went to look in some trees on a bridge which had a stream known for dippers trickling underneath it. There they were Pied and Spotted flycatchers darting aroung in pattern as they do, also a wood warbler we saw, the tree was alive with tits aswell and it was a superb start to the day with reader seeing his three target birds for the trip, all year birds. And for me, well three lifers as you might of guessed. We
We then continued along through the wood where we saw Goldcrests, Songthrush, a family of wrens and all the other usual birds. We then came to a style and i was first over it, a cunning bird lied me a nice little supriose on the style, a big dolllop of poo all on my hand, i was wiping it on the grass and a bird landed on a gate about 15 metres infront, Reader identified it has a juvenile whinchat, yet another lifer for me, i was really on a high at this point, and so would we in a minute as we had a very large hill to climb. As we were walking up the hill we saw linnet and whetear on the bank going up the side and on the path infront of us were 3 or 4 Redstarts on the path about 50 metres ahead, another 3 lifers! As we climbed up a buzzard showed of great at a low hight and we also got views of a Raven. When we got to the top we had a bit to eat and saw another 3 or 4 Buzzards. I then said we should go in a direction and what do you know, it lead to a dead-end, but on the way up we did get meadow pipit and a Kestrel hovered in the distance.
We also saw there Great spotted woodpecker, Chaffinch, Willow warbler, Long tailed tit,Blackbird, Robin, Blue tit, Crow, Jay, Dunnock and Grey Wagtail. In addition we heard the call of a green woodpecker but was unable to pick it out of the dense trees.

The Long Mynd,

We went hear in the hope of seeing the Grasshopper warbler which had been heard here, but no luck and to our suprise no Stonechat, that would of been another lifer. We got gret views of a kestrel and also saw meadow pipit and wheatear, we didn't see any red grouse either.

Venis pool,

We went straight to the hide and had missed Dunlin and Curlew, dissapointing as they would have been lifers. Anyway, we saw Lapwing,Greylag goose, Great crested grebe, Canada goose, Mute swan, Coot, Moorhe, Mallard, Grey Heron, Black headed gull, Lesser black backed gull and another lifer, the Cormorant, Yes!!

Finally, Belvide Reservoir,

We set off to the nearest hide and on the way through the wood we got Nuthatch, Long tailed tit, Blue tit, Robin, Wren and Blackbird. All the birds were on the other side of the lake so we mostly only got distant views, we got Canada goose, Mute swan, Greylag goose, Moorhen, Coot, Great crested gerbe, Mallard and in the reed we got Reed buntiund and heard a reed warbler. We didn't try for the med gull as we were all tired. On the way back through the wood we saw at least 6 spotted flycatcher and reader managed to get some pictures of them. We also saw a treecreeper. Reader has gone all year without seeing a spotted flycatcher and now he's seen about ten in two different places in one day.

A thoroughly enjoyable day with eight lifers, my list is now 97, only three away from my first milestone.

Thanks for taking me out Reader :bounce:

Regards,
Steven

hey,

good stuff Steven o:)

great to see someone enjoying their birds so much. And eight lifers in a day too. You'd better remember it mate cos days with eight new birds are few and far between!

keep it up
atb
Tim

Hi tim,

I still got Norfolk in september and i'm hoping for about 40 lifers in one day then, well from what i've been told anyway :)

Hi rich,

Glad you liked the report, thanks for the comments :)

Steven

Hello Steven,hey ste sounds like a cracking day,only 3 to go till you reach 100.I bet you are looking forward to Norfolk.i am planning to go soon.LET us know how you get on,good look.

Gary.......

Hi Gary,

yep deefinateley, but if your going soon we will look forward to reading yours first.

Hi Dave, Andrew,

Thanks.

Regards,
Steven.

Great stuff Stonechat! Sounds like a good day.
Wood Warbler & Pied Flycatcher are fantastic birds to see no matter how long you`ve been birding - I always look forward to the (few) occasions when I see them!

loner said:
Nice day out,Steven,but being new to all this,could someone please explain the term,'lifer'.
The term 'lifer' is used when you have never seen that particular species of bird before so the first time you ever see it its described as a 'lifer'. Many birders keep a life list of all the birds they have seen. So a 'lifer' bird can be added to this list.
Hope this makes sense!!

Stonechat2 said:
I still got Norfolk in september and i'm hoping for about 40 lifers in one day then, well from what i've been told anyway :)
Steven
Hiya Steven.

Great report there and an enjoyable read. Thank you.
I too am off to Norfolk soon. October time. Also hoping for the same amount of lifers!! Should be a great trip. Good luck for the next 100!!

Stonechat2 said:
Hi all,

Thanks for taking me out Reader :bounce:

Regards,
Steven

Glad you enjoyed it Steven. I have attached a couple of photos of the Lapwing at Venus Pool and one distant shot of a Spot Fly at Belvide.

It was a good day out and the dogs were totally knackered when we got back.

Attachments

• Lapwing  7690.jpg
    Lapwing 7690.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Lapwing  7695.jpg
    Lapwing 7695.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Spotted Flycatcher 7709.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 7709.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 121
Hi Steven and Reader....

Glad you had a great day out....Any chance of giving me directions to the place (Bridges?) which is good for Pied Flycatchers.... Can't see myself being in your neck of the woods in the foreseeable future - but you never know!!

Rgds... Ruby

Ruby said:
Hi Steven and Reader....

Glad you had a great day out....Any chance of giving me directions to the place (Bridges?) which is good for Pied Flycatchers.... Can't see myself being in your neck of the woods in the foreseeable future - but you never know!!

Rgds... Ruby

Hi Ruby

I have PM'd you.

Hi Joser,

Good luck with the trip to norfolk, will look forward to reading your report :),

Hi Reader,

I'm not suprised, i was and i'm only a young one, although it didn't stop me going out and playing football all night.

Hi Jason, Andrew, Faith, Loner,

Thanks for the coments :)

Hi Ruby, glad reader was able to tell you because i wouldn't, i just sat in the car and enjoyed the scenery while reader navigated the way there :)

Thanks again all,
Steven

Last edited:
Hi Steven, great report and a good read. Glad you enjoyed your day out, some lovely birds there.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back