• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is this an unwanted alien (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
We've got a couple of these in our garden pond. I'm worried that they don't look like proper (native) frogs. Should I remove them?

Attachments

• IMG_2284.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 118
Its a Marsh Frog and they are now established across Kent and East Sussex, right up the Thames and into Surrey as far as Claremont Landscape Gardens. You are years too late to make any difference.

John

Its a Marsh Frog and they are now established across Kent and East Sussex, right up the Thames and into Surrey as far as Claremont Landscape Gardens. You are years too late to make any difference.

John

Do they have any impact on native species? We don't seem to have many dragonflies emerging this year.
Also, how do you know that they are not pool frogs, which are protected according to one website I saw? We've seen at least six in our garden pond - and some of them don't seem much larger than our native frog.

Attachments

• pond frogs ex IMG_2424 (800).JPG
    pond frogs ex IMG_2424 (800).JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 60
Do they have any impact on native species? We don't seem to have many dragonflies emerging this year.
Also, how do you know that they are not pool frogs, which are protected according to one website I saw? We've seen at least six in our garden pond - and some of them don't seem much larger than our native frog.

I know they are not Pool Frogs for a couple of reasons, one being that Pool Frogs became extinct in the wild and are currently the subject of a reintroduction process in East Anglia. There are a couple of very small unofficial introductions of Pool Frogs of which I am aware: neither are as close to you as very large populations of Marsh Frogs which have already demonstrated their rapid and effective colonising ability.

As far as dragonflies are concerned there are no species in Britain that do not live alongside Marsh Frogs in continental Europe. As adults Marsh Frogs may prey on dragonflies either in larval form or just conceivably in adult form. When the Marsh Frogs themselves are in larval form as tadpoles the boots in the pond will be entirely on the dragonfly larvae's feet.

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back