• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avon Avians

United States
Hello, folks!

I have a question concerning American bullfrogs that I'm hoping some of you would know.
We have caught many bullfrogs in my lifetime, although not nearly as many as the less wary green frogs.

American bullfrogs are huge.
We've caught some pretty huge specimens in the past back in Connecticut, but we never actually measured them.
They seemed even bigger to me then because the largest bullfrogs I've ever caught were back when I was a lot younger.
We were fortunate enough to capture one outside our door during a rainy night last year, but it was a rather young individual, and we didn't bother to measure it.

Most online websites and books say that American bullfrogs grow to 8" in length from snout to rear, but there is very little specification about how often this size measurement occurs. Some even claim a length of 9" without the legs. From the evidence I've gathered, I'm convinced that 6" is the average maximum length. Some websites say that they only grow to 6" long.

I'm simply quite curious about this matter. What's the largest bullfrog any of you have measured?
I'll also accept fair estimates if you didn't have any measurer or ruler with you at the time.
(I'm aware that American bullfrogs are widely distributed throughout the world, but they are not everywhere, so no trouble if they are not present where you live. I don't mind if the frog measured is a captive specimen.)

But if anyone has any input on this, I'd be glad to hear it! God bless!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back