• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Collimator on eBay (1 Viewer)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRECISION...220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1ec0c75c

Will this work? Seems like it may conditionally align but not actually collimate because it doesn't look like it can accommodate several IPD settings.

Thanks for supporting Conditional Alignment!

I think you may find this to be a "comparator." That's the kind of thing used on Big Eyes. There is a lighted cross on the water tower in Port Orchard, Washington, facing the shipyard. Since Big Eyes don't have a hinge, something similar was used to align them. As far as I'm concerned, CA is as close as they would get with the setup.

I once bought a binocular collimator on the net. When it arrived it was a parabolic mirror in a cell. The "expert" who sold it to me just needed cash, I assume!

Cheers,

Bill

it looks nice, i wonder if someone named Gordon is the seller? ;)

You know how the word "collimation" brings 'em out!

Bill :-O

PS This may be the drawing that started all that Bull. I had planned to make a few for sale, but never got around to it. The CRT is fuzzy because I was using InDesign for the first time and didn't have the drawing "embedded."

Attachments

• Binocular Comparator.jpg
    Binocular Comparator.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
I think you could probably get as good conditional alignment with a home made scope, made for about $40.

With a reticle of some kind at the eyepiece, a Newtonian (backwards) or an SCT is a collimator. The obstruction doesn't matter because it's where the axle will be, anyway.

I've been thinking about making one from a C-11. It's just that having sold the real thing . . . TWICE, I'm just being ornery. In addition, nobody (well, not enough) wants anything repaired anymore. I'm not buying into all that some people see as "great," but you can buy a new--really good--(read: good enough) binocular for the cost of have a qualified technician do the work. In addition, there are so many "qualified" technicians around who . . . Aren't.

I would only trust Cory.

Bill

PS There are probably a number of your army's MK 4 lying around your country.

I like his description that this collimator is used by all the big German and Japanese manufacturers.

I have worked for both the German ones (still work for one) and have never seen anything like this !!!

I like his description that this collimator is used by all the big German and Japanese manufacturers.

I have worked for both the German ones (still work for one) and have never seen anything like this !!!

I have never seen one either! It looks like a home brew to me. Also, note the adjustment screws. With this set-up, one has to wonder, "Is the collimator, collimated?"

The seller can say what he wants. But, it looks to me . . .

"Good advertising need not be accurate, or even meaningful; it needs only to be BELIEVED."

Many of the Germans and most all (reputable) Japanese and Chinese manufactures use the Fujinon U.B.M.M. (Universal Binocular Measuring Machine).

Bill

PS Gary, Are you the Leica/Zeiss engineer I met over on CN?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back