• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current World Binoculars Mfg List and the quantity of unique units they offer. (1 Viewer)

Bino Steve

United States
Hello, bringing this list over from my post buried in another thread so we can continue fresh without it getting lost. After hours of digging, here is my version of current Mfgs and the quantity of binoculars offered for sale worldwide. These are the companies honestly attempting to put out a unique product, whether it's made by Kamakura or a Chinese OEM or not. If they are trying to make a legit Brand, it's on here.
. BUT this doesn't include wacky "name of the day" garbage on Amazon or Ebay or the ALI sites etc. It also doesn't include rebrands for corporate stores like Cabelas or West Marine or etc.. it also doesn't include tiny specialty companies like APM or Williams etc that may have some exotica for sale. It does not include companies that are focusing more on imaging or night vision or thermal, like Flir, ATN, Sony etc. I could not get any info on Russian companies. Also, Ive tried to avoid color variations of the same bino.
. With that, please add any company I'm missing. The counts may be off plus or minus because some websites are hard to read. If I missed your favorite, please don't shout at me. Cheers
Minox 19
Nikon 54
Leica 42
Swaro 22
Zeiss 33 plus or minus, hard to determine
Leupold 23
Maven 22
Vortex 34
Meopta 17
Pentax 40
Fujinon 26
Kowa 27
Canon 10
Steiner 35
Optolyth - unknown, too hard to figure
Barska 57
Barr & Stroud 25
Bushnell 72
Tasco 22
Burris 5
Athlon 18
Bresser, Alpen 31
Vixen 34
Olympus 8
Orion 16
Celestron around 40
Meade 8
Eschenbach 33
GPO 22
Sig Sauer 10
Kenko Tokina 40. (Took over Minolta service and perhaps old Minolta designs?)
Opticron 51
Konus - 42 approx - some may be body covering difference only
Yukon Advanced Optics- (Belarus) -appears to be 10, based on a review site. Company website not functioning.
Levenhuk 52
Noblex ( formerly Docter) 3
Kite Optics- Belgium 35
Bosma 54 approx
Kahles ( owned by Swarovski) 7
Oberwerk 24
Hawke 28

Total 1,143 binoculars
Guesstimated value , 750,000 to 1 million. Usd.

For all the gear junkies, like myself. It came from talking on another thread about how many units there would be to review if we could purchase them all. It gives light to companies you may not know exist and you may see some cool stuff, like that Kenko makes a 7x35, 13.5 degree super wide, that we all think doesn't exist anymore. Things like that. Plus lots of people like lists. So enjoy.

Is the Kenko super wide 7x35 actually the Bresser 7x32 13.2 degree mirror hybrid prism?
Also 8x42 and 10x50. Sold under other names also.

B.

Russian binoculars.

Komz Kazan 8x30, 10x40, 12x45, 15x50. Also with reticle and alternative coatings.

20x60, 12x40, 16x50, 26x70 Zomz?

7x35, 8x40, 10x50, 7x50 Tento?

5x25, 7x35, 10x40 Foton roof prism.

Avimo/Rollei copy 7x42. Belomo

7x30, 10x42 with complex six element plus reticle eyepiece.

15x110 6 degree field complex eyepiece. Also 20x110.
Maybe also 115mm version.

Miniature all metal surprisingly heavy 7x21 approx. Very curved field Only 50% centre is sharp.

2.3x40 wide angle thick glass special design.

6rT2 tiny 2.5x17.5 metal binocular in oblong tight fitting case. triangle C emblem.

4x high quality.

16x50 and 20x50 Stabilized. Mechanical.
Also some 25x56 possibly available.
Plus some high speed giro stabilized very noisy binoculars and monoculars.

Opera glasses.

5x25, 7x35 folding monoculars in red, blue and brown hand painted.

8x30, 20x60, 12x45, 7x50 monoculars.

10x46 plastic bodied monocular.

There are others.

So 26 or more binoculars plus monoculars also.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Post #7.
Yes the same, also under Ascot and other names.

A Channel 5 here T.V. so called expert show claimed the 7x32 was as good as the Canon 10x30 IS.
These so called techno experts haven't a clue as the Bresser is very unsharp, the Canon 10x30 IS super sharp and in another league.

As a result of this T.V. show the 7x32 instantly sold out, and I had to try other means to get mine.
I also have the 8.5x42.

The 4x21 and 4x30 18.5 degree (Actually 3.5x21) use similar mirror glass prisms as does the old Amplivid.

Regards,
B.

It is possible that young people with a lot of accommodation might find the super wide Bressers, Kenkos, Ascots etc. O.K.

But I find they just give me a headache quite quickly.

The Bushnell Xtrawide 4x21 are liked by kids.
It is fixed focus and curved field.
I can only use it for widely separated stars, which are in focus for me, but central stars are out of focus.

The Amplivid I find excellent.

Regards,
B.

There are a lot of Helios brand binoculars.

The VisionKing 5x25 has a 15.8 degree field, although I only get 15.2 degrees.

B.

I think Vanguard is missing on the list. I think they even make (made?) some models mostly in-house with glass from Hoya. Not sure if they have since gone the "Chinese way".
They still claim on their homepage to actually manufacture their products themselves.
Currently there are 26 models listed if I counted correctly.

And my favourite brand is missing, too - DDoptics. However they get their more expensive models from Japan and the cheaper ones from China. And some are also sold by other brands AFAIK like Kite. The Lux HR, one of my favourite models but no longer made is/was also sold by Perl/Vixen and Sightron. I think it's of Japanese origin but I'm not sure.
That being said - if Kite is on the list, DDoptics should be too.

Last edited:
The Perl EscapeED is the same model as the DDoptics Lux HR.
But the Opticron Adventurer T WP is for example the same as the Celestron Ultima (the current version not the vintage Ultimas which were a completely different beast).
But it would be quite the effort to filter out all those OEM models sold under different names.
Like the APM 6x30 which is sold in an 8x30 version by Orion and under multiple brand names with IF on aliexpress but with a slightly smaller FoV.
If we included companies like Kunming Optical or Kamakura most of the brands in this list would be instantly eliminated.
Kamakura even sells stuff under their own name in certain countries so they should maybe be included.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back