• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile gull (1 Viewer)

jimk

several juv Sabine's gulls have been reported at this local lake and I am wondering if this is one.

Attachments

• IMG_8465.jpg
    IMG_8465.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Yep, I'm inclined to agree with James - the partial white eyering in particular make me think Franklins. Now all I want is to find one on this side of the Atlantic!

Yes, I did wonder. I've no experience of juv. Franklin's either, hence my slight tentativeness. I found it a difficult photo to assess and wasn't at all sure that, with a closer, sharper view, the mantle wouldn't turn out to be scaly after all. Some photos of distant juv. Sabine's on the net don't show the scaliness properly and I thought the primaries in Jim's photo looked a bit long for Franklins. But I'm more than happy to bow to those who know what they're talking about!

Actually, I don't know why I couldn't see it last night, but in daylight it's obvious that the bird has a grey, first-winter mantle developing. That surely rules out Sabine's at this time of year.

Incidentally, can anyone point me towards some photos of juv Franklin's Gull? I couldn't find any on the net.

Last edited:
Also the fact that it is moulting the mantle and scapulars (to 1st winter) would indicate a Franklin´s and not a Sabine´s, which doesn´t have any moult until later, and retains it´s juvenile plumage into November/December, and then usually moults complete, while Franklin´s have a partial moult to 1st winter late summer, July to Sept/Oct. Franklin´s Gull is the only Gull that has a complete (body, wings and tail) moult each year. So this Franklin´s would start it´s complete moult to 1st summer at about Jan/Feb-Apr/May.
In the image it looks quite white in front of the eye, there´s usually a more obvious dark mark, and the Hooded effect usually is more obvious as well. The hood gets darker in the moult to 1st winter.
http://www.martinreid.com/frgu05.html

Looka at the Sabine´s nr 5, looks dark hooded.
http://www.utahbirds.org/birdsofutah/BirdsS-Z/SabinesGull2.htm
JanJ

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help folks, especially the links to photos of juv sabines. Those photos are much better than the ones in my books. JANJ - your moulting info is a huge help, now I think I know better what to look for. This pond has a huge group of migrating Franklin's Gulls on it so sifting through them is very tedious.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back