• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Skimmer~SW Turkey (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
I found this "skimmer" the other day,I am not sure but I think it could be a Southern or maybe Keeled.!!!!

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 47
  • skim.jpg
    skim.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 35
Of course the thorax changes from brown to blue on the Southern mature male does'nt it!!
Thanks Shane,I will get there eventually I promise.!!!;)

Male Keeled Skimmers in southern europe can become as pruinose as Southern Skimmers (and I saw a male in the New Forest today that had a purple rather than brown thorax). Attached is a Keeled Skimmer from Malaga province last September.

Your skimmer has no doubling of cells below IR3 which makes it most likely a Keeled Skimmer. Attached is your pic with a the row of cells I'm talking about surrounded by a red ellipse (as best as I could manage!)

Attachments

• 600D_0861.jpg
    600D_0861.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 23
  • skimmer_wing.jpg
    skimmer_wing.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 23
Male Keeled Skimmers in southern europe can become as pruinose as Southern Skimmers (and I saw a male in the New Forest today that had a purple rather than brown thorax). Attached is a Keeled Skimmer from Malaga province last September.

Your skimmer has no doubling of cells below IR3 which makes it most likely a Keeled Skimmer. Attached is your pic with a the row of cells I'm talking about surrounded by a red ellipse (as best as I could manage!)

Thanks Paul,I appreciate all your detailed help,it's a steep learning curve,but I am taking notes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back