• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best pair in one binsview (1 Viewer)

I got one look in a flowering Flamboyane tree where I had two Turquoise-browed Motmots, a pair of Altamira Orioles and their nest, all in my bin sights at once! What an eyeful!

Once on South Uist I had Golden Eagle, Buzzard and Peregrine all having an aerial dogfight.

Last year at a suet feeder 8ft from the window I had Downy Woodpecker, Red-Bellied Woodpecker and Northern Flicker within inches of one another.

Mike

Broad-billed Sandpiper and white-tailed eagle in Finland. Was watching the former flying about over our heads when I noticed the "barn door" way up above!

Rob

Will think of some others ...

My two, bearing in mind how often I dip out LOL, would have to be July 2003, East Chevington...

Black Tern & White-winged Black Tern.

I'd been really stressed out that I would have problems id'ing them but when we got to East Chev I lifted up my bins to scan the pool and they were the FIRST birds I saw!!! And they were SO obviously black and white-winged I felt a right nitwit for worrying LOL

GILL

Not particularly rare, but I had 2 male Blue Rock Thrushes and one atricapillus Jay in southern Turkey in the same bins view. A gorgeous splash of colour.

the ibisbill/wallcreeper duo isn't that tricky at Ramnagar....has been done by a few people...

Caucasian Snowcock and Crimson-winged Finch

Several Macaw/Parrot species at a clay lick

Giant Otter and real wild Muscovy Ducks

Horned Screamer, Black Skimmer, Sand-coloured Nighthawk and Ladder-tailed Nightjar

Nordmann's Greenshank and Great Knot

Tim

Skimmers, Great Thick Knee, River Lapwing and 3,5m Gharial (Chambal, India);
3 marsh terns (Poland);
Elk and Lynx (ditto);
Great and Little Bustards (Spain)

Just remembered that I can also score in category "put the scope at random an get...". In Spain I mounted scope at the random roadside stop and given it to a friend. He looked and yelled that I pointed it exactly at a very distant troop of Great Bustards.

happy memories...

As Tim says - several parrot/macaw species at a clay lick
Also in Manu - scarlet-hooded barbet and long-billed woodcreeper

Still thinking ...

Rob

peregrine falcon wingtipping with a golden eagle! - i will never get that sight from my mind, breathtaking little and large show.

Crossbills

A few years ago when there was an invasion of Parrot Crossbill into Britain. I had Parrot, Red and Two-barred Crossbill in the same field of view.

Had Ringed, Little ringed, Kentish and Semi-palmated Plover together at Dawlish, but only ever managed two different combinations of three in the same bins!

peregrine falcon and black (verrauxs) eagle- south africa

this brings to memory several experiences where i remeber hearing phrases such as "ok, do you see the woodpecker, now behind it there is a pale branch, on that branch...." etc

or to be more extreme- "ok.. behind the lion there is a small bush. There's a litlle brown job jumping around the lower edge!"

Mine is Citrine Wagtail, Semi-palmated Sandpiper and Reed Warbler in one view one August on Tresco

Went for the wagtail and blundered into the Sandpiper... it was fun using Citrine Wag as the size comparison for the description of the Sandpiper!

Also seen Firecrest, Yellow-browed and Pallas' Warbler in one view in an orgy of wing bars at Filey

A couple of trios for me - the three Redpolls at Titchwell were a nice comparison. Best for me was Black Duck, Pec Sand and Buff breasted Sand at Stithians a few years back. Found the Buff breasted whilst watching the Black Duck, then a Pec Sand dropped out of the sky next to them!

Andy J

On the Plym Estuary, Plymouth , once lucky enough to have 12 gulls in the same scope view which were 9 Black-headed, Ross's, Bonaparte's and Ring-billed.

Perry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back