• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best pair in one binsview (1 Viewer)

Mangrove Pitta

my best pair:
Ibisbill & Wallcreeper in one view at Rhamnagar (india). Couldn't get the fly by Crested Kingfisher in it too.

runner up:
cream-coloured cursor & rose-coloured Starling (Texel, Netherlands)

Blimey, 'Mangrove' that duo takes some beating! My best (which happens to have been in the UK) is Ross's & Ivory Gull,

John

Mangrove Pitta said:
my best pair:
Ibisbill & Wallcreeper in one view at Rhamnagar (india). Couldn't get the fly by Crested Kingfisher in it too.

runner up:
cream-coloured cursor & rose-coloured Starling (Texel, Netherlands)

Pallid Harrier and Scops Owl in view on Unst, but admittedly I never got them in the same bins view.

I have had Otter, Harbour Porpoise and Grey Seal together in my bins at Noss in Shetland. Not birds but still quite impressive.

can do a trio...

Arctic, Mealy and Lesser Redpoll at Titchwell.

plus a Goldfinch, all in same view o:)

another good one this year was Peregrine at Pagham harbour, lovely view in scope then a Little Egret flew right past it.

my dads had 5 raptors in one Marsh harrier, osprey, kestrel, sparrowhawk and buzzard
at leighton moss, lancashire.

Also three sanpipers wood green common

and me well redshank+lesser yellowlegs blcwstilt+oystercatcher+curlew+bartwit+Turnstone also common+artic redpoll

most unusual anyone?????????

One of my best was many years back, I had 2 green sand, 1 wood sand, 4 common sand and 3 marsh sand in one view.

Other good ones include my first ever lt skua, with fulmar and balearic shearwater in the same view. Last autumn had Pallas's warbler, yb warbler, goldcrest and firecrest together. I also had the three redpolls in one view along with goldfinch and siskin.

Nothing really rare, but these all are all great memories:

Green and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers

Ravens mobbing Golden Eagle

Common Cranes and Marsh Harriers at Hickling

Short-eared Owl and Barn Owl fighting

watching Golden Eagle while listening to Corncrake and Corn Bunting duetting

watching Red-necked Phalaropes while listening to drumming Common Snipe

Not quite in the bins but, on Monday I had 'stereophonic' Woodpeckers drumming with a Lesser-spotted in the right ear and a Greater-spotted in the left, giving an excellent comparison.

After 'showing well' on that occasion the Lesser-spotted as gone AWOL again - they're experts at disappearing off the face of the earth, aren't they!

For me, that would probably have to be two doubles at once! 4 species of cormorant in view at the same time when I was in South Africa - Cape Cormorant, Crowned Cormorant, Bank Cormorant and White-breasted Cormorant.

Must have been an endless supply of fish there!!

Hmmm I suppose mine would be:

Red-Necked Pharlope, Marbled Godwit, Snowy Plover, and Semipalmated Plover.
Interesting topic!
~Mandy

For rarity sake of one at least - I'd have o go with Wilson's Phalarope+BH Gull - but not really that eyecatching though.

Of late I have been very happy with Great Northern Diver+Shag

and a couple of months back Rough-legged Buzzard+Peregrine.

Red-necked Stint, Greater and Lesser Sandplovers, GRrrrrreat Knot and Terek Sandpiper in one 'scope view - Cairns Esplanade.
Also two 'scopes set up at 90 degrees to one another in Kent in '98 - in the one, White-tailed Eagle, in the other Sociable Plover!

not particularly rare but 2 Common Crane being "buzzed" by Marsh Harriers

oh the 3 redpoll were pretty good as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back