• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

flammea or cabaret? somerset 17th April (1 Viewer)

pabowyer

I'd decided this was a cabaret but am now not sure after seeing recent photos of mealy. Am interested to hear other peoples opinion. Sorry the images aren't that good but the bird was only present for less than a minute before flying off.
The wing bars were pure white with no buff, I did not see the utc's, the rest I think you can make out in the pictures.
Thanks in advance, Paul

Attachments

• redpoll-17-4-08.jpg
    redpoll-17-4-08.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 70
  • redpoll2-17-4-08.jpg
    redpoll2-17-4-08.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 91
  • redpoll3-17-4-08.jpg
    redpoll3-17-4-08.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 89
Difficult to be 100% certain from the photos, but the greyish looking face/neck sides, pale rump, and whitish wingbars all suggest a (smart male) Mealy.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I think you're right, the photos are making a certain id rather difficult. My first thought was mealy but have changed my mind two or three times since.
all the best, Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back