• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does Nikon make the best binoculars in the world? (2 Viewers)

[email protected]

Supporter
After having alot of different binoculars I have come to the realization that Nikon makes the best binoculars in the world. I feel the EDG, SE and EII represent the best roof prism and porro prism binoculars you can buy for any price. WHY? Let the arguing begin.

That's an easy one. Nikon doesn't make the best binoculars in the world. So I guess that's that. No more to be said on the subject. ;)

That's an easy one. Nikon doesn't make the best binoculars in the world. So I guess that's that. No more to be said on the subject. ;)

What do you feel are the best for you? I think the roofs can be argued but what porro is superior to the SE and EII? Albino's which is the most objective review site on the web says Nikon makes the best roof and the best porro and I think there are ALOT of people on this forum that thinks Nikon makes the best porro's.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Last edited:
Surely one would have to try EVERY other binocular to reach this purely subjective opinion ?

But the database on this forum of all the hundreds of people that have tried hundreds of different binoculars is huge. What porro is better than the SE or EII and what roof is better than the EDG?

The question is so transparently subjective as to be meaningless. I don't think binoculars are particularly important in this whole Hill of Beans, but I like them. So I'll give my tuppence ha'penny worth.
I've owned Nikon Binos (in 8x32) EII, SE and HGL (premier), plus the exquisite EII 10x35 and the HGL 8x20. All are superb, but I've kept only the EII 8x30 and never use it.
I've sold all but one because in each class I've found something that I prefer. Much as though I love Nikon's red-bias and contrast, I've invariably found something that optically outclassed each model (except for the EII's, which to my eyes are the tops in 8x and 10x, although in this climate I prefer waterproof binos).
In Europe, Nikon don't do a "no-fault" warrantly, in fact their after-sales service doesn't even begin to compete with Swarovski and Opticron.
Nikon also make a lot of binos that are not top-class, indeed far from it. And to deviate from the thread topic, their failure to produce a wide-field zoom eyepiece for their superb ED82A scope (when Swaro and Zeiss, and indeed Baader, had produced excellent wide-angle zooms), in favour of producing a replacement line of "EDG" scopes which cost double, and looked as though they were part of Darth Vader's accessories, made me sell my ED82A.

The question is so transparently subjective as to be meaningless. I don't think binoculars are particularly important in this whole Hill of Beans, but I like them. So I'll give my tuppence ha'penny worth.
I've owned Nikon Binos (in 8x32) EII, SE and HGL (premier), plus the exquisite EII 10x35 and the HGL 8x20. All are superb, but I've kept only the EII 8x30 and never use it.
I've sold all but one because in each class I've found something that I prefer. Much as though I love Nikon's red-bias and contrast, I've invariably found something that optically outclassed each model (except for the EII's, which to my eyes are the tops in 8x and 10x, although in this climate I prefer waterproof binos).
In Europe, Nikon don't do a "no-fault" warrantly, in fact their after-sales service doesn't even begin to compete with Swarovski and Opticron.
Nikon also make a lot of binos that are not top-class, indeed far from it. And to deviate from the thread topic, their failure to produce a wide-field zoom eyepiece for their superb ED82A scope (when Swaro and Zeiss, and indeed Baader, had produced excellent wide-angle zooms), in favour of producing a replacement line of "EDG" scopes which cost double, and looked as though they were part of Darth Vader's accessories, made me sell my ED82A.

ANOTHER EII lover! The SE and the EII are the best porro's made. Sure Nikon makes alot of low end binoculars but even some of those represent the best VALUE at their price point. The Nikon Monarch comes to mind which still is one of best values out there in inexpensive binoculars. Nikon's top binoculars are the best there are though. Best smoothest focus, best optics and best most comfortable armouring, best balance, and the list goes on and on.

In the USA Nikon's warranty is the best I have experienced. Too bad it is not as good overseas.

Surely, when the resident troll here begins a thread with an invitation to argue, the best response is no response. Yes, alas, I realize I didn't take my own advice.

I'm relatively new on this forum, could someone explain how to block/ignore certain users? For example, if I didn't want to even see a thread started by someone?

Click on person you want to ignore, let's say Dennis, click on his user name, click view user profile, on that you will see yellow line with either add to buddy list or add to ignore list click on "add [email protected] to Your ignore list" This just an example to use of course.;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back