• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

uk id (1 Viewer)

capdegat

I've never seen one before but could this be arctic skua ?
If not what?
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0249.gif
    IMG_0249.gif
    148 KB · Views: 220
Could be a juv. AS, pointed central tail feathers, pale base of bill, white flash panel on upper wings ... but I'd wait for more knowledgeable opinions than mine, sorry.

Definite juv Arctic. Note for example the light fringes on the wing coverts typical for a juvenile. For example the warm brown colour and prominent white patches on the hand separates it from Long-tailed.

Definite juv Arctic. Note for example the light fringes on the wing coverts typical for a juvenile. For example the warm brown colour and prominent white patches on the hand separates it from Long-tailed.

Don't think LTS was going to confuse here ;)

Agree with Jane, does appear to be at the large end of the scale.

Twite.

Don't think LTS was going to confuse here ;)

Agree with Jane, does appear to be at the large end of the scale.

Twite.
No I guess not but anyway. ;)

It does appear quite large but I feel that one has to be careful with these birds from pictures.

a couple more pics if it helps .
thanks again by the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.gif
    IMG_0251.gif
    99.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0253.gif
    IMG_0253.gif
    121.3 KB · Views: 65
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back