• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there an 8x42 porro that's as good as the Nikon SEs. (1 Viewer)

Orions website says that the Ultraviews are "Made exclusively for Orion by Japan's largest manufacturer of high-quality optics."

Would that be Vixen?

Or is there a bigger manufacturer in Japan? i don't know how big Vixen are nor who their Japanese competitors are.

Thanks

Mr Pickle

Mr. Pickle,

They are cagey about hinting w/out name dropping with the Ultraviews; however, I'm 99.9% certain that the Orion Vistas are made by Vixen. Same overall design, leatherette covering, and same specs as the Japanese-made Vixen Ultimas that were sold for years overseas. I suspect the Japanese-made Celestron Ultimas were also re-badged Vixens.

Mr. Onions

The key is who GKA Japan (with the Tripod logo) actually is. Apparently Japanese Opticrons are also marked GKA.

Some sleuthing around turned up for both GKA and JB codes turned up a 1970s porro with both GKA and JB133, which is Kamakura Koki Ltd. And then I turned up this old thread about who manufactures the EO roofs:

http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-38649.html

The discussion turns on what, precisely, is a marketer or manufacturer. Vixen looks more and more like a optics marketing firm.

A Wikipedia page on binoculars (quite a good review) lists Vixen as well as Alpen, Bushnell, and Leupold as also selling OEM binoculars manufactured by Kamakura Koki.

http://schools-wikipedia.org/wp/b/Binoculars.htm (scroll down)

Not that this solves a thing!

David

David

Has anyone tried the Helios Aquila ? I've seen a claim that they are as good as the SEs optically but I have no idea how true it is. (I very much doubt that the build quality is up to SE standards, but they are a lot cheaper).

Has anyone tried the Helios Aquila ? I've seen a claim that they are as good as the SEs optically but I have no idea how true it is. (I very much doubt that the build quality is up to SE standards, but they are a lot cheaper).

I tried the 8.5x42 briefly. They are excellent in the centre but have a small sweetspot. I believe that people have compared the centre performance with the SE but the edge performance drops off drastically. I found the edges very distracting.

Mechanically, they seemed well made and I imagine they would last you a long time and be unlikely to fail. The bridge was very sturdy with no wobble that affected the focus performance.

The eye-relief was too short for me that was they main reason I wouldn't buy them. Even if the e/r had been ok I may not have bought them because of the edge performance. Hard to tell if the e/r does not allow you to see the whole view at once.

If you don't mind poor edges and the e/r works for you, you may well like them.

It's not at all impossible to do this. 40 years ago Kern made a 42mm Porro with an internal focusing element and a wide true FOV. The Kern 6x42 Focalpin had a TFOV of 8.3*. An 8x42 version using the same size eyepiece fieldstop could have done and would have had the same FOV.

Hello Mr. B. Mustard,

Look at post number 7:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189732

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Thank you, Mr. Patum Peperium (aka "Gentleman's Relish").

However, I don't think a sentence starting with "I suspect...." makes me totally confident that Mr. Horseradish, even with his pungent wits, has found the definitive answer.

But at least he has some plausible "speculations" (as someone we know would say, who I'm sure would prefer to hear it from the horse's mouth rather than the radish's - i.e., Leupold's or Minox's engineers).

Mr. Piccalilli

It's not at all impossible to do this. 40 years ago Kern made a 42mm Porro with an internal focusing element and a wide true FOV. The Kern 6x42 Focalpin had a TFOV of 8.3*. An 8x42 version using the same size eyepiece fieldstop could have done and would have had the same FOV.

Oops! Somehow I missed your post, Henry. Looks like I did have reason to be suspicious about the aforementioned "I suspect..." post.

It's good to hear that internal focus WF porros are possible, but it makes it even more puzzling why optics companies didn't introduce this "evolution" while high quality CF porros still roamed the earth.

If they had, perhaps an internal focus porro wouldn't have been displaced by roofs, and birders wouldn't be paying through the proboscis for a roof that's comparable to what less-expensive-to-make porros could have been with updated coatings/glass and internal focusers.

The Cascades were dirt cheap, and even Minox eventually lowered their price on the 8x and 10x44 BPs after they realized that despite the German name, they couldn't bilk buyers out of $599 for a 6.4* 8x or a 5.1* 10x "Made in Japan" porro).

Were the Kerns expensive to make? Or did they have IF EPs?

There must be some reason why manufacturers didn't pursue this innovation with porros, but instead starting working on perfecting the roof design for the past 30 years.

Last edited:
Brock,

Here's a diagram of the Kern 7x50 Focalpin. The 6x42 just had shorter objective lens barrels. The 7x50 was just as expensive in the US ($700) as Zeiss/Leitz roof prism binoculars in the mid 80's. A complex Porro like it would be pricey today if it came from one of the alpha brands.

BTW, I ran into a NOS pair of 7x50 Focalpins a few years ago for $125. I couldn't resist, but after years of wondering about legendary Focalpin I found out it's not that great.

Henry

Attachments

• kern_NEW.jpg
    kern_NEW.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 149
Brock - following up on your comments and questions for Henry (who always seems to have those "thumbnails", which by the way are most informative) is your question whether the porro was displaced by roofs for among the many reasons not having an internal focusing porros available. The displacement of porros by roofs I believe comes down primarily to compactness and ergonomics. Fellows like you and me with extra large hands handle porros with ease. But I have found over the years that woman with their smaller hands simply prefer roofs. Many times when husband and wives are inspecting my collection of binoculars, the wife goes for the smallest and most compact binocular, and the husband, if he is a backpacker or hunter goes, for the roof, too. If sheer optical quality is being examined, the husband is apt to linger longer with the porros once the good quality view is demonstrated. Until roofs were produced, women had to take pot luck. What is your take on this? John
and that is the roof

Henry

Looking at that diagram of the Kern Focalpin it appears that the focuser is on the objective end of the central column. Is that correct? And please could you expand on what you found disappointing.

Thanks for that info and diagram, Henry. I can see the focuser bridge at the bottom, but in this "x-ray view" I'm not sure where the focuser is located, on top or at the bottom like the Swaro SLs. There seems to be a shaft in the center going from top to bottom but I can't tell from the diagram if that's functional or just infrastructure.

As far as pricing, an internal focus Leica porro made today is going to be as expensive as a Leica roof (although roofs weren't nearly as good optically as porros 40 years ago due to the lack of p-/sliver/dielectric coatings, so I'm surprised you were disappointed at the Kern porro's performance).

If the unthinkable happened, and Leica, Zeiss, and Swaro started making high quality porros with internal focusers, they would no doubt be very pricey even though the "buzz" is that porros are easier to manufacturer (and the examples I gave of the two recent internal focus porros seem to support that as do the low price of porros today).

The more complex, wider FOV EPs would add some cost. Although curiously, you once said that the Zeiss FL didn't have complex EPs, and I meant to ask you about that reference since it contradicts what you wrote in my "Incremental Change$" thread about alpha's complex EPs being one factor in alpha's high cost).

You also pay for the quality parts and engineering when you buy a German- or Austrian-made roof.

However, a goodly chunk of the costs involved are due to the high cost of labor in those countries and therefore also the high cost of materials. A Swaro rep admitted this to me so this is not my personal "speculation".

And it's no secret revelation, you can easily find references (and I've posted them on BF before) about Germany having the highest wages and highest cost of living in Europe, and Austria being the second in those categories. Those costs get passed on to the consumer.

However, I bet your buttons that if a Japanese or a Chinese bin manufacturer made an internal focuser porro with WF EPs, it wouldn't cost $2K (or at least it wouldn't need to cost $2K).

So cost is not the prohibitive factor in making good quality internal focuser porros with WF EPs. It can be done at competitive prices to alpha roofs.

But as John said above, porros were displaced due to roof's compactness and ergonomics. I would add to that the invention of p-coatings, which enabled roofs to come up to par, or nearly, with good quality porros.

That was the turning point and the beginning of the "heavy bombardment period" for porrosaurs.

Until optics manufacturers started making open bridge roofs, their compactness and ergonomics didn't have any appeal to me, because of my large hands.

I'm sure I'm not the only male birder with large hands, and I can't imagine that women drove the trend toward roofs. There are a lot of couples that bird together, but not nearly as many women hunters, and w/out broaching that subject again 'ere we should get off track with another moral discussion, most bins aimed at hunters are also roofs.

There may have been other factors that drove the Cambrian Roof Explosion besides p-coatings and women's and small handed men's preferences for compact design bin. Roof's superior waterproofness is undoubtedly one of those factors.

But what about the "roof mystique" that Stephen Ingraham and other reviewers have alluded to? How much of role did that factor play in marketing roofs, and where did this "mystique" originate and what exactly is it???

mystique = An aura of heightened value, interest, or meaning surrounding something, arising from attitudes and beliefs that impute special power or mystery to it.

I have some ideas about this, but I probably already lost Henry with my long post, and I know I lost Steve (mooreorless) after the first paragraph! :)

So e will probe the dark depths of that mystery another time, but I think solving that mystery might be the key to finding how to create a marketing "mystique" for internal focus porros.

Last edited:
Graham,

Yes the focuser is inside the front hinge. The focusing knob is on the front, but it could have been placed anywhere on the central shaft. In spite, or because of the complex design the optical performance is similar to any ordinary 7x50 Porro of that time.

You can see in the photo how petite the 7x50 Focalpin is compared to a 8x50 CZJ Octarem, which is a more typical size for a 50mm Porro.

Henry

Attachments

• DSC_0560.JPG
    DSC_0560.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Brock,

The FL's use 4 and 5 element, 3 group eyepieces. That's essentially the minimum required for a wide field eyepiece (the Octarem used a 4 element, 3 group EP).

Of course the Chinese could make good inexpensive internal focus Porros, just like the roofs they make now. Most designs could just substitute a Porro for a roof with no other optical change needed. Just don't expect the imaginary Z/L/S Porros to be much cheaper than their real roofs.

Henry

Last edited:
Graham,

Yes the focuser is inside the front hinge. The focusing knob is on the front, but it could have been placed anywhere on the central shaft. In spite, or because of the complex design the optical performance is similar to any ordinary 7x50 Porro of that time.

You can see in the photo how petite the 7x50 Focalpin is compared to a 8x50 CZJ Octarem, which is a more typical size for a 50mm Porro.

Henry

Very interesting, Henry.

It's almost an open bridge (with a rod in it ... shade of the current Nikon Monarch X).

Are the two prisms cemented together in that porro?

Are they the same size (they seem to be in the diagram but it's difficult to tell)?

Henry, Thanks for that clarification on your statement about the FLs, and for the two-shot photo of the Focalpin and Octarem, although I really would like to know if it was "in spite, or because of the complex design" that the optical performance of the Focalpin is similar to any ordinary 7x50.

If the internal focus limits performance, then there's no point in pursing that design with porros, and that could be why it wasn't done?

Kevin, Someone on another thread (Swaro?) was surprised that open bridge designs existed before the EL. Besides the Focalpin, here is a photo gallery by Gary Hawkins that shows a number of early bins with double hinged open bridges.

WARNING: Before clicking on the link, cover your keyboard so it doesn't get short circuited by your drool...

http://www.pbase.com/g_hawkins/binocular_pictures&page=all

Last edited:
Kevin, Someone on another thread (Swaro?) was surprised that open bridge designs existed before the EL. Besides the Focalpin, here is a photo gallery by Gary Hawkins that shows a number of early bins with double hinged open bridges.

WARNING: Before clicking on the link, cover your keyboard so it doesn't get short circuited by your drool...

I particularly like the Kershaw Vanguard 7x50. I bet that looked space age in its day. Still does even, in a black and white sci-fi movie way. As used by Flash Gordon..............

Very interesting, Henry.

It's almost an open bridge (with a rod in it ... shade of the current Nikon Monarch X).

Are the two prisms cemented together in that porro?

Are they the same size (they seem to be in the diagram but it's difficult to tell)?

Kevin,

It looks to me like the prisms are mounted on opposite sides of a conventional prism shelf, so I think they must be air spaced. The "back" prism looks smaller to me, about 2/3 the height of the front prism, if their centers are at about equal distance in the rendering.

Henry

The Swift 8.5x44 ED is nice for sweeping the landscape. The Nikox SE 8x32 is sweet, but not so good for sweeping.

...Bob
Kentucky

It looks to me like the prisms are mounted on opposite sides of a conventional prism shelf, so I think they must be air spaced. The "back" prism looks smaller to me, about 2/3 the height of the front prism, if their centers are at about equal distance in the rendering.

I wasn't too sure of the rotation of the pair of prisms which would give different projections in that plan (or is it elevation?).

But it really does look like the "occular" prism is smaller. I think that's required to get the focuser and it's optomech in place.

I wonder if the Leupold Cascades porro went with the same size prism (top and bottom) and that restricted the focuser or if they did the same thing and used two different sized prism. It's a rather light bin but it's difficult to tell from the outside. We need a radiograph of that bin ;)

The Cascades too is a petite 40mm porro. Another feature of the two different prisms sizes? Or just saving from small prisms?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back