• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 or Optolyth TBS or TBG 80 (1 Viewer)

Hi All

We are in the process of buying our first scope and I need some advice. I really don't know if we need a 50mm lens or an 80mm lense. The budget is about £500 but whatever we get I want a decent quality.

I have been considering the nikon ED50 which we could get new (although in pink!) or a secondhand TBG 80 from in-focus.

I know the nikon is lighter and the Optolyth will give a better view in poorer conditions (I think). Most of our birdwatching will be on reserves or on the shore.... probably never too far from the car (well - not very often!)

Obviously I have not ruled any scopes out so any advice on other nikons, opticrons etc wil be welcome.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

wg

Last edited:
Hello WG and welcome.

You don't say whether the Optolyth scope is the HD version or not. If it is, the choice is probably really down to whether you want the excellent portable ED50 or the larger but equally good Optolyth. I personally think it's worth trying to get a scope with ED glass (HD) if possible, but I have to admit to no personal experience of Optolyth scopes anyway.

I don't know just how far you can stretch your £500 budget but this looks like a very good price for an alternative well respected scope package:
http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=1951

Ron

or on the same site there is a 2nd hand Kowa TSN 3 - 77mm objective with ED glass. Comes with a stay on case and 20x eyepiece for £350.
Though i havent looked through one, im told the are very good, though maybe not as much so as the new 80mm scopes. But for £350, its not bad.

I find the ED50 usable even in poor light, with a 27x eyepiece. But I don´t know the other scope you mention. And how can you resist the Pink version?;) In-focus were doing it with a Velbon light tripod thrown in for 199 sterling (body only).

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

They have both HD and non-HD Optoplyths. Going off them a bit sincer I found out there is only one outlet for them in the UK. Thinking that perhaps it is betetr to go for something more generally available.

The Opticron sounds like a good deal. Are they in the same league as Nikon in terms of quality and durability?

I think the Kowa must have been sold as I cannot find it on the website at £350.

On Ebay today is a 2004 ES80GA ED with HDF Zoom and Stay-on case, currently @ £250, but I'm sure it will increase, probably not beyond £400.

Hi wg,
buying scopes is always tricky, especially the first one [ took me 6 months to make up my mind... Maybe that's just me though! ;) ]. I think the consensus [ he says, preparing to be roundly contradicted.. ] is that there are two things to consider;

One, what do you want to use it for?
If you're planning to not go too far, or stay in one place [say, a hide or seawatching], or look at long ranges [waders, seawatching again], then a big 80 with a fairly sturdy tripod is your thing. If you want to move around a lot, maybe take it on holiday, or out walking, use it in close terrain like woods, then a 'handy' 50 with a light tripod or even a shoulderpod is better. If you want to be able to do a bit of both, a 60 and a light tripod is worth considering.
60's are able to do both 'long range' and 'short range' stuff, but are naturally a compromise, and of course you may want to buy another scope in the future.

Two, and probably the most important advice when buying any optics, which is the best in your hand?
Always have a look through something before buying if at all possible - any shop worthy of your business should let you try scopes out, and many [ notably InFocus ] do field days at reserves, which are great for really finding out what's best for your eye. Then smile, say thankyou, and buy online. ;) Most birders will be happy to let you have a look through their scopes too [ Though bribes of chocolate, doughnuts etc. are always welcome! lol ].

My choice was a Nikon ED82 with the 25-75x zoom, my second scope is a Nikon ED50 with a 20x wide angle. I love them both.
I hope I've helped, and may you enjoy many happy days birding with whatever you choose!

Last edited:
Hello....i am selling an Opticron IMAGIC(mine has the VIXEN badge,but is the same scope),ED 80mm Angled,with a high quality zoom eyepiece and a fixed wide angle 31x,and a red dot finder included for 300£..plus shipping to the UK..i dont know how much that would be...but is a great set-up....thanks

Last edited:
Hi wg,
buying scopes is always tricky, especially the first one [ took me 6 months to make up my mind... Maybe that's just me though! ;) ]. I think the consensus [ he says, preparing to be roundly contradicted.. ] is that there are two things to consider;

My choice was a Nikon ED82 with the 25-75x zoom, my second scope is a Nikon ED50 with a 20x wide angle. I love them both.
I hope I've helped, and may you enjoy many happy days birding with whatever you choose!

hahaha it took me 2 years after trying different scopes from my friend n previous birding groups as in my place no shops willing to display their binoculars and scopes for testing.

in the end, i chose nikon ED82 with DS30x eyepiece hehehe and my comment about this scope, superb ! :-O

hahaha it took me 2 years after trying different scopes from my friend n previous birding groups as in my place no shops willing to display their binoculars and scopes for testing.

in the end, i chose nikon ED82 with DS30x eyepiece hehehe and my comment about this scope, superb ! :-O

Now I'm feeling like I rushed into it...! :-O But seriously, I have no regrets choosing the ED82 [ over 80HD and Televid77, too ], and my li'l ED50 is a joy and a pleasure every time.

I'll stop gushing now. [ Hmm, you'd Nikon were paying me, wouldn't you? If only! lolol ]

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back