• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 help please. (1 Viewer)

wileskm49

I've just bought a used Nikon ED50 with a 13-40x eyepiece and am pleased with it as my first scope. Birders that I've spoken with have suggested that I can squeeze a bit more out of it with a wide angle 20x or 27x eyepiece especially under poor light conditions.
I've looked on ebay etc and the 20/27x ep's seem to be scarce to the point of invisibility!
If anyone could share their experiences, have alternative suggestions or have any advice on where they can be found I would be very grateful.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.
I am moving your post to the spotting scope - Nikon area so you will get more help.

I've just bought a used Nikon ED50 with a 13-40x eyepiece and am pleased with it as my first scope. Birders that I've spoken with have suggested that I can squeeze a bit more out of it with a wide angle 20x or 27x eyepiece especially under poor light conditions.
I've looked on ebay etc and the 20/27x ep's seem to be scarce to the point of invisibility!
If anyone could share their experiences, have alternative suggestions or have any advice on where they can be found I would be very grateful.
Thanks.
Amazon Japan still offers Nikon eyepieces and they are easily shipped via Tenso ( Contact Us | Forwarding service connecting overseas customers and Japanese online stores [tenso.com] ).
More generally, the 13-40x is actually a fine performer, the 27x offers a bit more comfortable viewing, but the zoom flexibility is lost.
For weight weenies, the 13-30x is noticeably smaller than the 13-40x and is really a fitting complement to the small and light ED50.

Amazon Japan still offers Nikon eyepieces and they are easily shipped via Tenso ( Contact Us | Forwarding service connecting overseas customers and Japanese online stores [tenso.com] ).
More generally, the 13-40x is actually a fine performer, the 27x offers a bit more comfortable viewing, but the zoom flexibility is lost.
For weight weenies, the 13-30x is noticeably smaller than the 13-40x and is really a fitting complement to the small and light ED50.
The only eyepiece in stock/listed on Amazon.jp looks to be a 16/24/30x DS ….and an out of stock 40/60/75x DS ….does Tenso ship items that aren’t actually listed on Amazon.jp such as the 27/40/50x or 20/30/38x wide MC’s the OP desires?

The DS eyepieces are available by special order from UK shops, but the no longer manufactured wide MC eyepieces are also of interest to me if aavailable through Amazon.jp via Tenso?

The only eyepiece in stock/listed on Amazon.jp looks to be a 16/24/30x DS ….and an out of stock 40/60/75x DS ….does Tenso ship items that aren’t actually listed on Amazon.jp such as the 27/40/50x or 20/30/38x wide MC’s the OP desires?

The DS eyepieces are available by special order from UK shops, but the no longer manufactured wide MC eyepieces are also of interest to me if aavailable through Amazon.jp via Tenso?
The DS and MC eyepiece optics are the same, afaik, just the housing differs, with the DS better for digiscoping, the MC more for visual use.
I have the DS 27x, cannot find the MC either, not a huge loss imho.
If Amazon.jp no longer offers a good selection of Nikon eye pieces, I think Ebay is your only recourse.
Paying scalper prices for out of production optics however is not a habit I wish to acquire.

Two DS eyepieces (16/24/30 and 27/40/50) are still listed in Amazon.de.

Hermann

Two DS eyepieces (16/24/30 and 27/40/50) are still listed in Amazon.de.

Hermann
Amazon UK have a 27x DS and Wex have all 3 DS’s listed, as I think all are still technically current models as it were…. wide MC’s sadly no longer.

I have a 40/60/75x DS but much prefer my wide MC’s - my DS eyepiece is perfectly useable though.

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice. I was hoping to find something suitable on the second hand market but they seem to be like hen's teeth so I guess I'll have raid the piggy bank.
Many thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back