• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for light binocs for women (1 Viewer)

You might try these guys:

http://www.urbannaturestore.ca/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=54

They stock the Opticron Discovery 8x32 which is light, has good close focus and has a minimum IPD of 52mm.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Hey, thanks for bring that to our attention! Bravo to Opticron for making single hinge roof prism bins with minimum IPD under 56 mm! The 32 mm objective Discover go to 52 mm and the 42 mm objective go to 53 mm! I'll definitely remember this and pass the news along. Up to now, Zeiss has been the only option.

--AP

... So I was just about to order the BX1 Yosemite. Anyone have an opinion between the two?

I can't testify to the optics of the Opticron 8x32 Discovery, but for close focus work it has to be a MUCH better choice because of its narrower objective spacing and because the Yosemite does not focus closely. Also, the Discovery is a considerably lighter weight and smaller binocular (packs into a smaller space), and it likely has easier focus because the reach to the focus is less than for the Yosemite.

--AP

Last edited:
Correct: stereo vision is less messed up up-close for a roof than for a porro.
That trend continues, though: a reverse porro is less pidgeon-toed than a roof.

The Pentax Papilio is the only one I know that actually pivots its
objectives for close or far distance, however. That's quite a trick.

...The Pentax Papilio is the only one I know that actually pivots its
objectives for close or far distance, however. That's quite a trick.

They don't pivot, they just come closer together.

One problem with the Papilio for those with narrow IPD is that the oculars do not adjust below 56 mm.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back