• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Western Algarve (1 Viewer)

PaulMunro

Hello All

Pretty new to this so if I am not in the right forum chuck me into the right one !

The good lady's old chap has just bought a place at the very southern / western extremety of Portugal and as we plan a few trips out there soon (xmas and easter) I was hoping to glean a little bit more info on birding sites in that part of the world from anyone who has been there.

I have checked out the websites but most are a bit vague on the western extremity................has anyone visited any further west that Luz for birding?? And in particular for Raptors, and are there any good seawatching sites that anyone can recomend in the Algarve in General ?

I look forward to hearing any tales !

Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Paul, I haven't been myself, but I'm sure other members have. I don't know whether you have found the Trip Reports section yet, but JohnJ has posted a report from 1999 to Portugal, but it may not be about the correct area. To find it, go to Trip Reports and then use the bottom right search feature to bring up reports posted in the last year and it's about half way down.

In addition on the left hand red Navigation Panel, there is a link to Birding Pals website, where local birders are willing to pass on information and suggested sites to visit in their countries. I see there are four listed for Portugal, but agian you'd have to check as to whether they are right for you.

Hopefully, members who have visited Portugal may be able to assist through personal experiences.

Thanks Ian
I have cheked them out and gained usefull info, although the area that I am covering is only abot 20 sq miles (from Luz to the Western tip) as I the good lady gets the Hire car as a compromise (I am biking it !!)

Ta muchly

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back