• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good hotspots, South-central Washington, Sep-Oct? (2 Viewers)

qwerty5

Controversial opinion generator
United States
I'll be going out to south-central Washington for a temporary job, arriving late August, and leaving late October. I'll be staying in the Pasco area. The job will be 6 days a week and I'll be with a non-birding family member, so I won't have much time for birding. I am curious if anyone knows of good hotspots close to Pasco. I've seen almost no western U.S. species, so just looking for places that offer the best variety of western specialties. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or ideas for this area.

Also I'll be driving out, so I'd be interested in any quick stops that would have interest for a non-birder as well as western bird specialties. Probably will be taking I-90 through Nebraska and Wyoming, then I-84 from Salt Lake City to Washington. I will be driving 10+ hours per day, so any stops will have to be quick and easy.

I see you're on the Columbia River...I was going to suggest a couple of sites I'd visited when staying with a friend in Troutdale, then realised you're 200 miles further upriver :rolleyes:...my friend is more of an angler than a birder, but talks a lot about the Deschutes River valley and the wildlife he sees there whilst fly fishing - it's not quite so far from you. If you did want a longer trip with your non-birding family member, the Columbia river gorge is beautiful, even allowing for the fact is got a major highway and rail line running through it, and there are spectacular side trails like Eagle Creek: Hike Eagle Creek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back