• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using the G10 (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I have been thinking of getting rid of my second DSLR body (30D) and landscape lens (17-40/4 L) and replacing with a compact so I can easily carry and get at when out with my birding set-up (40D + 400/5.6).
Anyone had experience with the G10, I see it shoots in RAW that is supported by DPP which would fit in well with my current work flow. Main uses would be landscape and family snaps.

I bought one last year as a replacement for a Sony DSC-P200, which I hate. The feature set is fab, raw is a big plus and I thought 580EX compatibility was nifty too. It is a little on the large side, for a "compoact", but I knew that and figured the technical spec and manual and Av/TV controls and quick EC were well worth the bulge in my trousers. That's what I thought inititally, before using it in practice.

In practice I found the usage of the thing to be an awful experience. That's not the fault of the G10 at all, but simply the reality of P&S cameras vs DSLRs. The thing has a viewfinder. For stability I want to shoot with the viewfinder, and not hold the thing at arm's length. But there is no information in the viewfinder at all. So to set the thing up you need to use the LCD screen, then turn the screen off, put the camera to your eye for the shot, and then turn on the screen again to see if you got what you wanted. Any adjustments need the screen again and it's all a bit of a faff. Furthermore, I am using manual exposure increasingly - probably 90% of the time, if not more, with my DSLRs. A Zoom lens with a variable max aperture is about as appealing as a pin in the eye, if you want to shoot with manual exposure. You can't just set things up for the ambient light conditions and freely zoom in and out. You have to zoom/compose first, then set up your exposure, turn off the screen, put the camera to your eye etc. etc..

I concluded that I would end up using the G10 as a basic point and shoot and the extra features would be a complete waste and an expensive one at that. Also, a 580EX on top of a G10 is quite frankly ludicrous. You end up with a huge, top heavy package, and might as well just use a DSLR in the first place.

So my G10 went back for a refund (Jessops 30 day return deal) and I bought a refurb Fuji F100fd instead. Since the G10 cost me around £335 and the Fuji was £112 it seemed a better use of my money. FWIW I hate the Fuji, and almost wish I'd kept the G10, but in truth I just hate compact cameras altogether and having the G10 was just a bit silly.

My philosophy is really that if I want to do photography then I want a DSLR to do it with. If the occasion does not warrant a DSLR then, from my perspective, there's really no need to take a camera at all. Of course, I don't have a family, so snapshot style memories are not something I feel compelled to want. For others it may be very different. But if it's snapshots you're after the G10 perhaps does not offer the best value for money, or the most pocketable convenience.

I've had the Fuji for 6 months and only have five shots I've bothered keeping during all that time. To be honest they could probably binned as well.

I don't know how many DSLRs you have but I would hang on to the 30D as a backup body or to serve your wide angle needs while the long lens is on the 40D. I spent three weeks touring New Zealand a while back and had a 30D with 10-22 and 40D with 100-400 and took them with me everywhere I went. No need for lens changing, Always had a backup body with me. No issues with dust or dropping things. When I started shooting weddings I had my 17-55 on the 30D and 70-200 on the 40D. I've now upgraded my kit (1D3 and 50D) but two cameras is always a sweet setup whenever I need two lenses on the go at the same time. The Fuji rarely leaves home.

All IMHO :)

p.s. I never had a problem with the IQ from the G10, given the crazy pixel count on that tiddly sensor, but it was the operational ergonomics that made it poor value for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Tim, I too use manual most of the time and it sounds like a pain in the butt with the G10. I take your point about shooting with the viewfinder - I hate trying to shoot via the lcd screen at arms length as well. Nice mini review of the camera from a DSLR user's point of view Tim, thanks. It could be back to the drawing board for me :t:

I think the Panasonic LX3 makes for a better compact camera for your requirements. Its 24mm wide angle is just about perfect for landscapes at 16x9 aspect. And if you need to go wider for cityscapes and architecture you can get the 18mm conversion lens.

For intimate portraits the F2.8 aperture at the 60mm telephoto length will give some nice creamy backgrounds too and you can shoot the standard 3x2 portrait aspect.

DxOMark.com gives it a better score for dynamic range and color rendition too.

cheers,
Rick

Thanks for that Rick, I will have a look at the panny. I suppose I am asking a lot from a compact when coming from a Canon DSLR and the superb 17-40 L lens.

If it is not too rude may I ask why you are getting rid of your 17-40 please Roy. I have the same lens and it does me a treat.

If it is not too rude may I ask why you are getting rid of your 17-40 please Roy. I have the same lens and it does me a treat.
Hi John, I have a 100/2.8 macro, 17-40/4 and 70-200/4 all of which I rarely use so I was thinking of off loading. They are all superb lenses but are not a lot of use if they are just sat at home in a drawer.
I will need something for landscapes and its a toss up between keeping the 30D and 17-40 or getting a compact.

I've got one, use it a lot. great little camera, just dont expect much from iso400 and above
Thanks Paul - if I got one I would expect to be using at ISO 200 at most for landscapes on good days.
Is the 28mm at the wide end equivilent to a DSLR full frame 28mm? if so it would be similar to my 17-40 on a 1.6 cropper.

Thanks Paul - if I got one I would expect to be using at ISO 200 at most for landscapes on good days.
Is the 28mm at the wide end equivilent to a DSLR full frame 28mm? if so it would be similar to my 17-40 on a 1.6 cropper.

I assume it is 28mm in 35mm film terms Roy ,yes.

The June issues of Professional Photographer and Photo Pro magazine both tested a number of compacts questioning whether they were suitable for pro use. About the G10 Photo Pro questioned the shutter lag and high iso image IQ but quote the performance at low iso's as 'simply stunning' and run a feature on a pro wedding 'tog who uses one alongside his SLR lineup. Professional Photographer say its 'definitely' suitable for pro use (with the same questionmark on high iso)

I just reckon its a great compact for everyday use which has the ability to take stunning images which will print at any size you like when a snapshot turns into a picture to hang on the wall.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back