• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just teal?, Warwickshire, UK (1 Viewer)

jkyles32

Saw this amongst teal so probably that but grey to black beak and wrong colour on wing?

Thought and thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_1642.NEF.jpg
    DSC_1642.NEF.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 154
The green speculum of the Eurasian Teal can often look bluish depending on the light and the angle of the bird.

I'm seeing a pale spot just behind bill, which indicates Blue winged Teal. Not sure if blue would show on flank though, having never seen one in RL. It could be an escapee, any collections in your area?

Andy

Don't the underpart feathers look good for Blue-winged Teal? - I can't seem to rule it out on the other features too - bill shape and weight look good too.......as well as the spot at the base of the bill...Oh, I've convinced myself it is ;-)

Shouldn't show a blue speculum though..silly me, mind you it looks good

Last edited:
The pale spot really isn't what would be expected for BWT, Garganey etc. Not distinctive enough and pretty much exactly matching the cheek colour. Also completely lacks any trace of eye-ring. Eurasian Teal for me, can't rule out GWT though ;)

Twite.

Eurasian / Common Teal. Pale spot on the lores is 'within tolerances' for Eur. T, no eye ring, the patterning of the flank feathers is right for either Eur. T or Blue-winged ( both the same ) but the weight of the bill is wrong for the latter.

Chris

Eurasian / Common Teal. Pale spot on the lores is 'within tolerances' for Eur. T, no eye ring, the patterning of the flank feathers is right for either Eur. T or Blue-winged ( both the same ) but the weight of the bill is wrong for the latter.

Chris

Mmm...it was the patterning of the flanks that threw me - somehow they looked rather coarse and chevron shaped for Eurasian Teal and the bill looked a little too long and heavy - apparently not.

Best wishes

Simon

I think the eye ring is pretty key (or absence of) and the colour on the flank could have been the light.

Thanks for the pointers.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back