• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallard variant? East Anglia. (1 Viewer)

Luke16

Are these two birds young or variant Mallards? There were other adult Mallards nearby and I assumed they were but haven't seen this appearance before. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 36
Are these two birds young or variant Mallards? There were other adult Mallards nearby and I assumed they were but haven't seen this appearance before. Thanks.

Domestic-type mallards. They are probably from the same brood. There is actually a specific breed with that coloration.

There is actually a specific breed with that coloration.

Is there? I've seen lots of them (it's one of the commonest domesticated Mallard variants in urban parks), but never seen a breed name cited despite searches. Someone once told me they thought 'Copenhagen duck' but I never found any confirmation of that at all.

I think rather than being a breed as such, this colour phase occurs in several domestic breeds (and is one of the commoner ones - probably with a fairly simple genetic inheritance pattern - to "escape" into the wild population and end up in structurally wild-type birds).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back