• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Female Mallard, Greater Manchester, UK (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

I took this photo the other day on a local canal. I presume it to be a female Mallard. It was not shy. However I am a bit mystified as other female mallards I have seen have been more of a brownish colour.
Please does anyone know if this bird would be just a standard female mallard, or are there any comments that might be helpful.
Yours with thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0444.JPG
    DSC_0444.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 45
Looks like an ordinary female mallard to me. They can vary in hue, some are browner than others. But I think the greyness in this photo is mostly due to camera settings or lighting conditions. Surely the duckweed on the surface of the water was a much more saturated green than the photo shows?

The bird may also look a bit different than expected because so many of its feathers are out of place. I'm not sure, but its wings seem too short - perhaps it is missing some primary feathers

Looks like an ordinary female mallard to me. They can vary in hue, some are browner than others. But I think the greyness in this photo is mostly due to camera settings or lighting conditions. Surely the duckweed on the surface of the water was a much more saturated green than the photo shows?

The bird may also look a bit different than expected because so many of its feathers are out of place. I'm not sure, but its wings seem too short - perhaps it is missing some primary feathers
Thank you :_)

Look at the feather patterns! - especially scapulars - very different from those of an adult female. Presumably it's either eclipse male (despite the dull bill?) or juvenile.
I thought so too, but lacked knowledge to understand further. Your suggestion about either eclipse male or juvenile resonates. Especially the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back