• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 450D + Skywatcher 80ED (1 Viewer)

Musoman, you stil have the Sigma 150-500? Can you compare the images from SW 80 vs. Sigma at 500mm, f7 on the same subject in similar conditions?

The 150-500 Sigma is on Ebay and it finishes tonight, so i cant do a direct comparison.

I have some previous photos i took with the Sigma for a kind of comparison

A lot of these in my link were with the Sigma.. some @ f8, which is close enough

http://photo-sharing.winsoftmagic.com/1/5bysjpbd.htm

[QUOTEThat Max DSLR works ok, but there's a slight movement in the fitting. Its not 100% tight on the body mount. Bit disappointing, but it still works i guess.[/QUOTE]

Hello Musoman
when you say there is a slight movement in the fitting is it between the max and the camera?
And do you know whats the difference is between Kenko pro 300 AF (DG) and the pro 300 DGX i cant find any info on it other than the 80£ price diff?

Yes, its the MAX on the camera, though its minimal and doesnt affect photos. I should say that i mean that its not ultra tight in clockwise / anti-clockwise direction. Not in and out direction.

Its only a mm or 2 , so nowt to worry about.

Anyway - my next project will be to mount an AF confirm chip adapter on the MAX, and since the adapters are nice tight fittings on the cam body, this will eliminate the slight loose fit.

I will of course have to hack off the MAX mount first.

I've already received my AF conirm Ext. tubes, and the AF confirm works fine

Regards the DGX kenko - its a newer version of the DG, for sure, but there's talk that it doesnt AF at certain aps.

Might be worth reading up if you intend to go the kenko teleconverter route

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=34055133

By the way you dont happen to know someone that still have the Sk 80ED in stock it seems that the new more expensive model is the only one out there.

Ok
There is one store that say the will be getting some Sk 80 ED in mid january they are asking £333 for scope only.
Do you know what the price used to be?

I paid about £250 but it was ex-demo. Not only that, but it came with an aluminium case, and all the other stuff - 5mm and 20mm eyepieces, angle viewer, finder scope, connectors and stuff. Pretty much all of those accessories were no good to me though, as i was using a DSLR

I thought the gold ones were discontinued and now there were all black ?

That gold one is the same as mine

Yes i thought the same but the black one is 585 euro and the gold one is 368 euro.
And what i understand they should be more or less the same, exept for the color?

Dont Paul have the gold one to? and diegoBE? if they can take that kind of stunning photos with the gold one then the gold one is prob more than perfect for me.

I meant Paul may know of any differences between the Gold model and the Black model

But yes, Paul has a gold one, which is why i decided on that model, and the price of course

Here's mine at the moment, without any tele converters, yet

450D > EOS AF confirm chipped Ext. tube set ( all 3 fitted ) > MAX dslr EOS mount > 50mm revelation astro tube > 2" connector.

Attachments

• 80EDb.jpg
    80EDb.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 80EDc.jpg
    80EDc.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 110
I meant Paul may know of any differences between the Gold model and the Black model

But yes, Paul has a gold one, which is why i decided on that model, and the price of course

Here's mine at the moment, without any tele converters, yet

450D > EOS AF confirm chipped Ext. tube set ( all 3 fitted ) > MAX dslr EOS mount > 50mm revelation astro tube > 2" connector.

As far as i,am aware the optics ( glass ) are the same, the body & rest of the fittings are better quality.
stanacko.

As far as i,am aware the optics ( glass ) are the same, the body & rest of the fittings are better quality.
stanacko.
I have the black one and the mechanical part is the same. But there is another version: black with 1/10 speed focuser which is more expensive due to this fact. But the optics it seems that it is the same.

I got my gold one for about £230 new and that was for the tube assembly only, without the box and all the add on bits that I didn't need. Don't know of any shops with the gold ones left now in the 600mm length. There's a few of the 900mm ones around but they aren't so portable.

Main difference with the black ones is the better focuser. There's quite a few different focusers you can buy though to upgrade the gold one if needs be. Always been happy with the single speed myself but you can easily make it dual speed just by altering the diameter of one of the wheels.

Paul.

Playing with stacking some barlows at the moment. This is the GSO ED 2X and then a really cheap 2X of which I have a few. None of the cheap ones are all that good because the lens coatings on them are poor. I've managed to improve the light baffles and eliminate any stray light issues and these are a couple of long range results. First photo is two barlows stacked (2400mm) and second photo is two barlows stacked with the Kenko Pro 1.4X teleconverter (3360mm) not including any crop factor in those either. Both images are uncropped to give an idea of how much the bird fills the frame.

I've got some Christmas money left over and it's my Birthday in March so I may invest in a Televue 2X barlow for some experimenting.

Attachments

• Redwing2.jpg
    Redwing2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Redwing3.jpg
    Redwing3.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back