• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Katrina (1 Viewer)

Hi. I’ve just joined the forum; so a few words to introduce myself. My name is, now, Katrina van Grouw. Many of you may know me by my maiden name, Katrina Cook - as an artist, ringer, taxidermist, former curator of the bird skin collection at Tring, and the author of a rather large book about the history of bird art. Well, I’m the same person. Please get to know me by this name; I prefer this one. I also write the ‘In the Studio’ feature in Bird Art and Photography magazine. At present I’m working my socks off to complete my life’s ambition – a book entitled ‘The Unfeathered Bird’. It’s due to be published by Princeton University Press next year. It will contain over 300 accurate anatomical drawings of birds: complete skeletons, musculature, plucked birds, skulls, windpipes, feet etc of birds from all over the world, many of which have never been illustrated before. Most of the complete birds are shown in active positions, as though they were actually alive. It also includes the more extreme examples of domestic varieties of pigeons and poultry. I still have a lot more to do and only six months remaining, so my posts will be intermittent. Still, it will be nice to hear from some of you from time to time, to remind me that I’m not alone.

Must dash now – an oystercatcher skeleton is calling me…

Katrina

Hey Katrina,

Greetings and a warm welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to seeing what you've been up to since the Birdfair, especially as you're always full of pleasant surprises ;)

Best Regards

Mark

Another greeting from the Leicestershire birdy/arty 'mob'....welcome Katrina...:t:

Look forward to seeing some of your latest stuff....[i know it will be superb]...!

ps...i still regret not purchasing a certain Skua print from you many years ago down in London.....:smoke:

And an 'official' welcome from me too, Katrina - your addition to the ever-growing stable of talent down here in the basement is definitely Premier League stuff. I hope you can post your work regularly, and we can also all benefit from your insights into our own efforts.
Welcome aboard!!!
:t:B :):t:

Hi Katrina, welcome to the forum..spoke to you a few moons ago, about visiting Tring..I thought your name rang a bell...well hope you will enjoy it here, keep up the good work...mark

Hi Katrina and welcome. I remember reading about your unfeathered bird project somewhere, it looks like it'll be something special for sure.

Mike

Hi Katrina - another welcome from a fan. Hope you'll be able to find time to post from time to time. I've always found your work inspirational. All the best with the book project - from what I've seen so far it's going to be a unique and exceptional work.

Hi Katrina - another welcome from a fan. Hope you'll be able to find time to post from time to time. I've always found your work inspirational. All the best with the book project - from what I've seen so far it's going to be a unique and exceptional work.

can only but agree and another welcome to BF

what a gift to have you drop in big fan...book is going to be a gem for all time in the bird world...George Stubbs the great equine artist is still best known for his anatomy plates of the horse done in the late 1700's and they are still being published...who knows?

Way back I saw an exhibition of paintings and works by Landseer and the one picture that made the biggest impression on me was a study of a dissected dog. Fascinating stuff.

Mike

Sorry for the delay in replying; I was away drawing skulls in Oxford all day yesterday. Many thanks to all of you for your overwhelmingly kind messages.
Best wishes,
Katrina

Welcome Katrina,

I remember the article that appeared in Birds Illustrated (or Wildscape?) - great work! And the duck called Amy if I remember correctly.

Love the Oystercatcher btw,

Keith.

who could forget you and your amazing drawings! no matter what name you have....welcome, stay in touch and let us see what you are doing if possible

Hi again all. A quick post just to direct you to some more of my pictures under the Kent Sperm Whale thread on the Sea Mammals forum. The opportunity of drawing a beached whale, and a Sperm Whale in particular, was just too good to miss, so I took a day off from the unfeathered book and drove the 130 miles down to Kent. Well worth the trip!
Cheers,
Katrina

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back