• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nothing coming...possible reason? (1 Viewer)

Peloquin

Not a single bird has been seen at my feeder since Sunday. I was having bullfinches feeding every couple of hours and blue tits and great tits started coming on Sunday.
I noticed today that a garden 2 doors down (very close together and small gardens) has a statue of a Heron.
It wasn't there on Saturday,I know that for sure so could this statue be the reason the birds have all vanished?
Nothing else has changed at all.
Thanks folks.

Be on the lookout for a natural predator or an unusually skilled housecat or something similar in your immediate vicinity. And too, birds just sometimes clear out of an entire area for reasons known only to them. They will always come back, in my experience, but it may take a while. The trick is to keep the food out and exercise patience.

Cheers.
The only thing I've seen is a squirrel but the birds were in the garden with it.
I've not even seen a pigeon here since Sunday.
Very strange.

Hi Peloquin

I think this sometimes happens when the young have fledged and got independent, the adults are no longer looking for the quick take-away, as there's now plenty of food available in the wider countryside.

Rest assured they'll be back when they need you!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back