• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The commonest bird in your garden at the moment? (4 Viewers)

tracy said:
I am in west sussex and top of my list is blue tit followed by great tit,chaffinch and greenfinch.

Yes tracy thats what i thought, it would be interesting to see who's the most popular bird in which county, state, or province of any country inthe world at any time of the year. I would be fascinated to find what the most populour birds in our friends gardens in say America or Australia for Example

Me , i am in N.Kent in England and its mainly sparrows and starlings at present with a few baby robins and Thrushes and a very angry but funny blackbird!

Danbury Essex
It's the House Sparrow - I think have had several clutches hatch this year - a big improvement on last- they are now cleaning out my seed feeders every day-
It's nice to see the little blighters back

Lovely male Anna's Hummingbird who spends his time displaying, sqeaking (in other birds we'd call it singing) and running off most of the other hummers (probably all Anna's) - mostly females but including one very tiny guy. Barbara

Here on the Isle of Bute my most frequent birds are 1. Greenfinch, 2. House Sparrow, 3. Blue Tits/ Great Tits Tits followed by Robin , Dunnock and Blackbird (all every day of the year). Although at this time of year house Martins, Swifts and Swallows are all present daily in good numbers. Yesterday there were a pair of Bullfinches for a short time (Iwish they were more frequent)

Doug

How long have Dunnoks been around? They seem very popular now or is it just me . (not me being popular i mean LOL)

Roger S. said:
House Sparrows followed by Starlings.

West Sussex.

The same Roger, (Kent). Hence my post on 'Who is in or out' on the main page. As i am new to the area, perhaps you can help? :clap:

A few of you may have read the "Disaster" thread i started a few weeks ago where trees and vegitation was destroyed wholesale, right in the middle of the nesting period. We lost a lot of birds then but they are slowly coming back to the garden.

One bonus of this is that a relatively large colony of House Sparrows have colonised a bush just outside of the garden and are constantly commuting from there to a feeding station I have close by. Consequently I am topping up the table and feeders on a daily basis now. Something I will never complain about.

Feeders are now beginning to heave under the weight of birds returning to the fold - feeder numbers now up to six at the forest feeding station and three in garden. Commonest birds at present are Tree Sparrows and Great Tits in the garden and Hawfinches and Great Tits at the forest feeder.

Here it is the dunnock, there can be up to 8 of these birds together, 3 of which are juveniles. Second is the greenfinch, and third is the blackbird.

Loads of House Sparrows around, and Starlings, which is good news. Also lots of Blackbirds, Collared Doves, Greenfinches, Blue and Great Tits.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back