• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The commonest bird in your garden at the moment? (2 Viewers)

Hi,

Just to be different not many Goldfinches at the moment only saw 2 today far out numbered by House Sparrows 12 to 20 in and out of the hedge to the feeders all day while I was gardening. Felt like I had an appreciative audience every time I looked up some were watching me, lovely to have them back again. The secret is millet they love it.

Ann

we don't see many gold finches where we are in Shropshire, loads of greenfinches though, we has ~60 on the lawn! nuthatches are also really common.

SPARROWS! Over 40 - 2 flocks. They are most welcome visitors, so lively and amusing! At one point this summer, the Blackbirds were pretty numerous, too, all chasing each other around the garden. At one time I counted 12. In the meantime, the Starlings were eating up all the sultanas and apples. Lots of Blue and Great Tits and Woodies, too.

Definitely Sparrows, sometimes accompanied by a solitary Greenfinch, a few resident Collared Doves & the occasional Blue Tit - then even more Sparrows!

House spugs . None at all for years, one solitary male last year and now at least 10. Delightful to watch and agree the secret seems to be millet.

However greenfinches have all but vanished ; there used to be upwards of 20 and I blame it on RailTrack cutting down all the trees near us. Probably nothing to do with RT as all the other usual visitors have not been affected but, what the heck, I like to blame these miserable bunch of dendrophobes for everything.

david

I'm in Kent too. According to my Garden Birdwatch entries I've reported seeing the following birds every week for over 2 years: Dunnock, Great Tit, Moorhen (which live on my pond), closely followed by Blue Tit and Blackbird. Sparrows and Starlings are mainly winter visitors.

house sparrows followed by mourning doves. i swear if it werent for them id only have to refill the feeders a few times a week instead of a few times a day :egghead:

It must have been a good year for Robins in my neighborhood and out at the barn we have at least three flocks of Eastern bluebirds with 10 to 12 birds per flock. At the barn we also have a healthy selection of English House sparrows that inhabited the barn all summer.

It is hard to estimate the success of the Kildeers although they are all over the pasture. They don't flock or appear any different as juveniles to me so I assume that their population was healthy.

I haven't seen the goldfinch flocks just solitary individuals so far, nor have I seen the other sparrows but that may be changing ---YESTERDAY"S high was near 100 and today's high is 71.

I have between 40 and 50 visiting sparrows and they are extremely loud, highly entertaining, very expensive and much loved.

Last edited:
too many mourning doves for me :C
about 30 house sparrows, and an overload of goldfinches. there all fun except the doves. they hang around too much, at least the others eat and leave :bounce:

Mostly House Sparrows (30+) the number of Starlings has dropped away in the last few weeks, and we getting about 6 Collared Doves which is double what we had earlier in the year.

High numbers of Collared Doves,Sparrows and Starlings all eating me out of house and home.Yesterday, we counted over 1 hundred, all down at the same time.Good job 2 of us were counting. :eek!:

About 30-40 house sparrows which roost in a privot hedge at the front of the house, lots of blue tits, collared doves and starlings.

Here where I am in KY USA, The Cardinals outnumber everything else 2 to 1 (at least in my backyard) They can devour 50 pounds of black oil Sunflower seed in no time.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back