• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arran 1st Visit, can you help please (1 Viewer)

waddojohn

is it a bird or a plane, can't see without my glas
Hi Guys,

Could anyone offer any advice, on the best areas to see raptors. Any guided tours that you can recommend to get the best views of nature. We are intending to go at the end of May, is that a good or bad time to go.

Thanking you for your time

Best Regards

John

Hi Guys,

Could anyone offer any advice, on the best areas to see raptors. Any guided tours that you can recommend to get the best views of nature. We are intending to go at the end of May, is that a good or bad time to go.

Best Regards

John

Hi John

Arran is an amazing island and my favourite Scottish isle. Its a mini Scotland and you will see why when you arrive.

Any time of the year is good to go and there is always plenty to see. One thing the island does well for is raptors. There are more breeding pairs of Hen Harrier here than there is in England and Wales combined. Machrie Moor and up at forestry in Kilmory are great for scanning. There are decent numbers of Golden Eagle as well, better looked for at the north of the island as its more mountainous. Take a walk up the hills at Lochranza and you normally see them on both sides of the valley.

There is a local woman who takes groups out on various excursions, mostly wildlife related and I highly recommend her. Her name is Lucy Wallace and she is also the RSPB representative for the island. A fully qualified mountaineer as well and I have enjoyed every trip I've been out with her. See below for a link to her website.

http://www.arranwildwalks.co.uk

I would also check out the Arran birding site s it is up to date with sightings and images. It may give you an idea of what to expect and where to see it.

http://arranbirding.co.uk

If you need any further info, just give me a shout.

Dennis

Hi Guys,

Best Regards

John

We have been in May and September both good times to visit. Lochranza around the ferry terminal is good for otters and red squirrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back