• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Product Plan for Zeiss (1 Viewer)

Lee, thanks. I'd been wondering how to make the mix of models presently available even more complicated. |:S| Now we look forward to fans of other makes, from Alpen to Zen Ray, correcting any lapse by a maker in offering a simple lineup. BTW, you had missed the range with the F(*/2) coating. Also, you missed a few continents. |=)|

Last edited:
Lee, thanks. I'd been wondering how to make the mix of models presently available even more complicated. |:S| Now we look forward to fans of other makes, from Alpen to Zen Ray, correcting any lapse by a maker in offering a simple lineup. BTW, you had missed the range with the F(*/2) coating. Also, you missed a few continents. |=)|

Pomp you little rascal, you know the F(*/2) coating is supposed to be top secret LOL

Lee

My question still stands! With an amendment.

Will purchasers still be able to register the new Zeiss Binoculars with Zeiss using their on line registration form and will Zeiss acknowledge receipt of the registration by e-mailing the purchaser?

Bob

Zeiss Warranty Registration

I too did not receive acknowledgement when I registered my warranty by email.

I emailed Zeiss USA to determine the registration status and promptly received a reply that the warranty was properly recorded and in effect. Okay, so you don't get the nice letter and fancy Passport card that Leica sent me on the Ultravids, but a printout of Zeiss' response email is good enough for me.

By separate email, I asked about the registration process presently noted on the Zeiss website and was informed that the procedure is for Europe only.

I too did not receive acknowledgement when I registered my warranty by email.

I emailed Zeiss USA to determine the registration status and promptly received a reply that the warranty was properly recorded and in effect. Okay, so you don't get the nice letter and fancy Passport card that Leica sent me on the Ultravids, but a printout of Zeiss' response email is good enough for me.

By separate email, I asked about the registration process presently noted on the Zeiss website and was informed that the procedure is for Europe only.

I queried Zeiss USA, using their e-mail inquiry form, shortly after you posted this but did not receive a response.

Today I phoned them and received a confirmation from customer service that they had my registration on record.

Bob

I registered my new Conquest HD's on the website and within seconds received a reply with a guarentee number via an e mail.This was of course in Europe and things may be different in the US.....Eddy

I registered my new Conquest HD's on the website and within seconds received a reply with a guarentee number via an e mail.This was of course in Europe and things may be different in the US.....Eddy

Nice move Eddie, getting some Conq HDs.

Which ones did you get?

Let me guess.......8x32s for warbler chasing?

Lee

Spot on Lee,went out for a couple of hours yesterday but unfortunately a howling gale and the warblers etc. were nowhere to be seen.Very pleased with the 8x32 though will let you know more when I've had the chance to do some proper warblering........Eddy

Spot on Lee,went out for a couple of hours yesterday but unfortunately a howling gale and the warblers etc. were nowhere to be seen.Very pleased with the 8x32 though will let you know more when I've had the chance to do some proper warblering........Eddy

Great news Ed.

We had Chiff Chaff and Blackcap in our back garden on Tuesday and Swallows nearby.

Good luck with the weather.

Lee

Victory HT
8x42 and 10x42 only.
The HT is for those whose priority is for high light transmission ie those who use their bins under dark skies, in poor weather, in forests or at twilight.
32mm models will not be available as they are not suitable for these activities.
There will be no 56 mm models as the cost and bulk of large objectives is made unnecessary by Schott HT glass.
8x42 list price £1600. Made in Germany

From what I understand...the light transmission on the 32mm is fairly high, atleast in the FL model...so, why not in the Victory Model? If light is a priority in poor weather, dark skies, forests....twilight..... and the FL 32 has good light, why not the Victory?

Or am I misunderstanding you completely? jim

From what I understand...the light transmission on the 32mm is fairly high, atleast in the FL model...so, why not in the Victory Model? If light is a priority in poor weather, dark skies, forests....twilight..... and the FL 32 has good light, why not the Victory?

Or am I misunderstanding you completely? jim

Hi Jim

Nice to hear from you.

First off, the product plan by me was make-believe, a stab at describing where the Zeiss range of bins might go next. Some of what I describe pivots around the marketing stance Zeiss has adopted with some bins rather than an argument based solely on technical characteristics.

Second, both FL and HT are both called Victory by Zeiss.

Third and most important of all, Zeiss has publicly linked the Schott High Transmission Glass and the relatively large (but light-efficient) Abbe-Konig prisms together as the HT Concept and as fitted to the HT 42mm models. The A-K prisms are too big to be fitted to a properly compact 32mm bin so the High Transmission Concept (as defined by Zeiss) isn't transferrable to the 32mm format.

But as hinted at above this discussion is as much about the marketing stance Zeiss has already adopted and which I used as a sort of spring-board to then build up a theoretical future product range.

Away from the world of the marketing concepts and down to earth, you are right in that the Victory FL 32mm is bright (I own one) and a lovely instrument. It would seem logical that if the HT glass benefits the HT 42mm bins, why can't the same glass bring benefits to a 32mm version that could perhaps be a bit brighter than even the FL? Well maybe this could happen, but Zeiss couldn't call it an HT because of the reasons mentioned above. Also, for all I know (I am not an optical expert) it maybe that the HT glass gives its best benefit in large lumps of glass like the A-K prisms Zeiss uses in its HT 42mm models. Perhaps there would be little or no discernable benefit with the smaller S-P prisms used in the 32mm bins.

I hope this has cleared this up for you, but if not please post again.

Lee

Hi Jim

Nice to hear from you.

First off, the product plan by me was make-believe, a stab at describing where the Zeiss range of bins might go next. Some of what I describe pivots around the marketing stance Zeiss has adopted with some bins rather than an argument based solely on technical characteristics.

Second, both FL and HT are both called Victory by Zeiss.

Third and most important of all, Zeiss has publicly linked the Schott High Transmission Glass and the relatively large (but light-efficient) Abbe-Konig prisms together as the HT Concept and as fitted to the HT 42mm models. The A-K prisms are too big to be fitted to a properly compact 32mm bin so the High Transmission Concept (as defined by Zeiss) isn't transferrable to the 32mm format.

But as hinted at above this discussion is as much about the marketing stance Zeiss has already adopted and which I used as a sort of spring-board to then build up a theoretical future product range.

Away from the world of the marketing concepts and down to earth, you are right in that the Victory FL 32mm is bright (I own one) and a lovely instrument. It would seem logical that if the HT glass benefits the HT 42mm bins, why can't the same glass bring benefits to a 32mm version that could perhaps be a bit brighter than even the FL? Well maybe this could happen, but Zeiss couldn't call it an HT because of the reasons mentioned above. Also, for all I know (I am not an optical expert) it maybe that the HT glass gives its best benefit in large lumps of glass like the A-K prisms Zeiss uses in its HT 42mm models. Perhaps there would be little or no discernable benefit with the smaller S-P prisms used in the 32mm bins.

I hope this has cleared this up for you, but if not please post again.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Ok, now I'm confused |:S| :h?: ......
I always though the HT stood for Hunters Type ?! :'D (ROTFLMFAO !! terribly sorry - just couldn't resist that! ...... =) 8-P

You are right in that HT glass + A-K prisms = "HT Concept" or HTC - not to be confused with THC :hippy:
You are also right in that Zeiss won't shove whopping great A-K prisms in the compact 8x32. They'll stick to the S-P prism system.

Even though the Schott HT glass shows most benefit in the long A-K prisms, Zeiss will shove it in the 8x32's S-P prisms to show a minor light transmission improvement (up to ~1.5% - but not more than! ;) ), along with all the other attendant colour balance and contrast improvements that will bring, as you currently enjoy in your 8x42 HT. :t:

I'm sorry :cat: but you are partly wrong in saying it won't be called the HT. For sure it won't be called the "HT Concept", since that bit of marketing jiggerypoo© is already taken. What it will be called though is the HT "something" ......... c'mon chuck some words around .......
* the "HT Lite" - hmmm - I don't think that will go down to well in the US, perhaps the "HT Upsize Value Happy System"?
* the "HT Revelation" - hmmm - will be warmly received in Vatican City, but might have limited success in the Islamic world - I'm sure the "HT Paradise" would be a bigger hit there - although there might be some legal wrangling with Opticron's "Oasis" coating!
* the "HT Vive La Minute Différence" - sure to be a big hit in France.
* the "HT Fair Dinkum Mate" - will of course get big wraps Downunder.
* the "HT Molly-Koddled No Konsequence Feralz" - will be a must have for the younger crowd,
and I'm certain there are at least one or two others ;)

Although the benefits of the HT glass will be minute (~1.5%, Holger and I did the maths somewhere), I'm sure having seen the HT benefits yourself, that at least you'll agree, they will be well worth it. One thing I could never get answered to my satisfaction though - is just how the heck does the existing 8x32 FL manage to transmit 94.6 +/-1% ? - and why the bleedin' hey! aren't all S-P roofs on the market up to this level ?!

Chosun :gh:

Makes sense....

Ah,,,hunters glass too!.. But like the Swaro SLC 8 x 42, it too is meant as a hunter's glass so not much difference.I think Swaro and Zeiss think more of hunters in terms of marketing than birding but both glass, due to low light is perfect for birding.

I was sitting around last night watching the birds fly in an out at twilight and not only is twilight /dawn useful times but just about any time of the day, even broad daylight. Most of the times you are in the shadows and underneath the trees. Given that, not sure why Zeiss marketing or Swaros etc are not more actively marketing these to birders. Not that they are missing out on sales but it would be nice to be recognized!

... jim

Last edited:
Makes sense....

Ah,,,hunters glass too!.. But like the Swaro SLC 8 x 42, it too is meant as a hunter's glass so not much difference.I think Swaro and Zeiss think more of hunters in terms of marketing than birding but both glass, due to low light is perfect for birding.

I was sitting around last night watching the birds fly in an out at twilight and not only is twilight /dawn useful times but just about any time of the day, even broad daylight. Most of the times you are in the shadows and underneath the trees. Given that, not sure why Zeiss marketing or Swaros etc are not more actively marketing these to birders. Not that they are missing out on sales but it would be nice to be recognized!

... jim

Jim

Zeiss are advertising HTs in British birding magazines now. I think their plot was, Hunters and Stalkers first, then the world, starting with Poland.......oops sorry.....don't mention the etc etc

Lee

Yo CJ

Now you know very well HT stands for Hormone Therapy and don't pretend you don't.

HT is clearly something you don't need given the vigorous nature of your posts.

Meanwhile back in the world of marketingspiel how about HochKompakT ?

SeerigHT?

SpotrigHT?

HotTwitch?

and for old timers: DialyHT!!!!

Sorry there's a hawk at the window asking if we serve KFC, must go............

Lee x

Sorry there's a hawk at the window asking if we serve KFC, must go............

Lee, didn't know that your place doubled as a "fly-through" restaurant!! o:) :eat: Are there a big pair of golden wings out the front?? o:D

"Would you like to upsize that chicken leg ma'am?" :king:
"Would you like fries with that?" 3:)

"That'll be $4.75 thanks - please fly through!!" :flyaway:

:-O

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back