• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was your best bird today! (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

I thought today's best bird might make for an interesting thread, so here it is:

My best bird today was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet which flitted around in our back yard here in Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Also coming in for a "runner up position" to the best bird was a White-throated Sparrow.

hello Larry, as i did not go out today, i will say my best bird for yesterday which was the woodchat shrike.

went on my break to see the new visitors we got in the desert bushes between building of the college and found so many birds as is expected on this time (Spring migration) but that shrike gave me the chance to get not only shots from close but also to take a video of him eating a large bug.

as common as they are here on migration this was the first time i could get close to one.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2115649#post2115649

I didn't go out today either but yesterday I took a break at work and saw my first Northern Wheatear of the season! :bounce: They are common but their arrival is always a delightful moment, they are so beautiful!!! o:)

hello Helwa Marian g/f so nice to see you here in the forum.

wonder if your N wheatear looked like the one attached because if so then it is the one i sent to you :-O:-O:-O

BTW they were my best bird of the day on 4th of April.

Attachments

• NW8c.jpg
    NW8c.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 51
Hmmm... not exactly the same, mine was whiter on the belly... but sure they were cousins and yours couldn't come my way and then this one told the other to come in his place! :-O

It seems we are "fit" for talking rubbish, aren't we, g/f? o:D That's part of the fun of life! :t: Keeping young of spirit! ;) I've been away from here for so long that I almost forget what it is having fun with the friends! :eek!:

I'm going out this weekend, so I hope to find something exciting to share here or/and in the gallery! o:)

Hmmm... not exactly the same, mine was whiter on the belly... but sure they were cousins and yours couldn't come my way and then this one told the other to come in his place! :-O
:-O:-O:-O i love your way of thinking, but really when i see them i think of my BF friends on the north, i know most of our birds go North and actually North not north west, but i like to think that one or two find its way and be seen with one of my friends.

OK going back to the subject of the thread, my bird of the day so far is the Nile Vally sunbird, i usually put peanut butter to birds, which is so popular with sparrows, weavers and warblers but this today i discover that also the charming NV prince is also eating from it as i saw his bill all covered with it.

I went out birding today (light rain most of the morning) around the oxbow lakes region south of Saint Joseph, Missouri. It was kind of difficult to come up with my "best bird" because I saw three really good species! But, I picked the one I considered to be the "best" and give 2nd and 3rd "honorable mention".

1. Smith's Longspur, Lake Contrary area (best bird) [in almost complete alternate plumage]
2. Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Horseshoe Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri (first "runner up")
3. Yellow-headed Blackbird, Horseshoe Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri (second "runner up")

Something flew over the road today, and I still can't say for certain what it was. Unidentified Feathered Object, I guess...

My best bird for the day was a Mangrove Cuckoo at Key Largo Botanical Site, heard and seen within ten minutes of arriving to look for one. Always a great bird to see, even for us South Floridian locals!

Carlos

Me and my wife were out yesterday in northern ohio and our favorites were the Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, and lots of Ruby crowned Kinglets.

If I had seen this thread yesterday I could've said a pair of American Kestrels.
But today sitting at the Lake studying for a tonight's final I saw a BIG something flying around the other end. Flew up and landed next to another BIG something sitting in a tree. First pair of mature Bald Eagles I've seen there. Hope the decide to stay.

If I had seen this thread yesterday I could've said a pair of American Kestrels.
But today sitting at the Lake studying for a tonight's final I saw a BIG something flying around the other end. Flew up and landed next to another BIG something sitting in a tree. First pair of mature Bald Eagles I've seen there. Hope the decide to stay.

Very cool - hope your eagles stick around.

Was going to post this last night but fell asleep on the sofa! To join a trend, my best bird(s) of yesterday were the five Wheatears that I saw on my patch through my new scope! First trip out with it - 'paid for itself already' a friend said. :-O Only the second time I've seen Wheatears on my patch and only the third time I've ever seen them... and never as well as this or as many. Spent ages watching them feeding, was really great to see them here alongside the Lapwings and Linnets. :t:

my best bird for the day is the black cap, i have missed them so much, usually a pair or two winter in my region, so they usually come on September, stay the winter and when they leave, more comes with th spring migration. but not this year, last one i saw was on October.

It seems that this is due to the dry November and most of December we got last year made our wintering birds leave (chiffchaffs, black caps, whitethroat, and wrnecks).

so i was so glad to see one last week, and today he was so coopretive and gave me some shots a three video clips, also saw the female.

Mmmmm tricky :smoke:

A could go for the easy option and say the male black scoter - lifer no. 210! - was my best bird and he WAS very stunning :t: But I was also pretty thrilled with the three long-tailed duck nearby or the sandwich terns, my first of 2011, or even the fulmars flying around the area as they are always a favourite of mine :t:

So many wonderful birds but if I had to choose I guess I would go for the scoter as they are one of my favourite types of duck and this particular chap WAS an absolute beauty! :king:

I took a walk along my local sea cliff path.

I too enjoyed my first Wheaters of the year. The male was giving good views. Perching for long spells on the fence posts.

Secondly was the Kittiwakes. Very noisy, with good views of nesting and flying birds. A good looking gull!

No contest concerning the 50, or so, species birds I saw today up at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri.

Marbled Godwit! The last one I had seen in Missouri was May 2, 2005! So I was certainly glad to see one today (actually there were two)!

I didn't get a chance to go out to day because of the heavy rain. I did however spend yesterday at Presqu'ile Provincial Park.

The best bird I saw was a Red-bellied Woodpecker, a first for me.

The next was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and the last was hand-feeding a troop of Black-capped Chickadees.

B :)

May not be too thrilling for others, but got great views and audio of 3 or 4 Nightingales when went out this evening. Only re-discovered bird watching recently, so each time we go out and discover something new. Also, lovely view of Oystercatcher, and Great Crested Grebes.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back