• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frigatebird VietNam (1 Viewer)

glennmanc

Is this a Great Frigatebird? Juvenile?
The other possibilities are Lesser and Christmas Island.
(quite good photo, so NOT taken by me!)

Attachments

• IMG_1300-22-01-18-10-11.JPG
    IMG_1300-22-01-18-10-11.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 102
Very good article. I would still guess at juvenile Great, but wonder whether anyone would disagree - or say that the photo is not good enough to rule out juvenile Christmas Island (is the white belly patch hexagonal or elliptical?).

Don't think it's Great, shape of the white is wrong despite lack of axillary 'spur'.

Id say Christmas, Great is by far, the least common of the regular three.

A

I just received a response from David James in Australia (who write the article recommended by Larry Sweetland) and he says it is a juvenile Great Frigatebird. Shall I ask him for a detailed explanation (he offered to supply one)?

Ditto to yes please from me too. I'd have suggested Isla del Chrimbo too. I took Chrimbo off my list when I first found this article, realising my Id's were unsafe.

I've spent hundreds of hours over months, laying on my back in Bali, watching groups of Frigates flying over and have never, had a bird that I thought was Great.

This is a seriously challenging group to ID.

A

Here is the explanation from David James (posted with his permission):
Explaining this particular ID is difficult. It is based on a combination of characters that are mostly subtle and hard to describe, but combine to give a distinctive appearance to my eye.

The bird still has a complete black breast band so it is still in juvenile plumage Most distinctive is the White head in a bird that is still (effectively) in juvenile plumage, although it is a little worn and would have started moulting body feathers.

The head is white, not buff. Both Great and Christmas fledge with buff head feathers but this tend to fade to off white rapidly. CI frigate moults in some fresh buff head feathers, starting even before they fledge, which means they always have some indication of a buffy head until they loose the breast band. The head of this bird looks too white for CIFR in my experience. However, it might be the lighting in the photo exaggerating the white-headed appearance.

The lower flanks are begining to encroach on the lower corners of the white belly patch. This is the first stage of the darkening of the lower belly. As the black of the lower flanks encroaches further it will create distinctive concave scoops out of the bottom corners of what was originally a nearly oval belly patch. For now, it is subtle.

Where the belly patch meets the breast band the boundary is rounded with no obvious angles. In CIFR this boundary tends to be straight across the chest in the centre, then with a slight angle backwards on either side.

The innerwings on CIFR are very broad with big bulging humeral feathers close to the body on the trailing edge. On this bird the humerals are slightly bulging (best seen on the left wing) but not nearly enough for a CIFR.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back