• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF-80ED vs. Alpha Spotting scopes (1 Viewer)

AlbertoJ

How compares Pentax PF-80ED (using Pentax XW eyepieces) to the best spotting scopes (Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Kowa, Nikon) about its optic quality (contrast, sharpness, light,...) ?

I´ve read in many reviews Pentax is in the same quality level, but I don´t know if that´s an exaggerated response.

I wouldn't say its exaggerated. Recently I had an opportunity to see through a Swarovski 80 mm and frankly the view did not exactly blow away the view I got through my SMC zoom at around 30X. At best it was as good as that through my SMC zoom.

Not quite the comparison you want but in my PF65 versus a Zeiss 65FL I can see the Zeiss has higher contrast and seems to take higher magnifications "better". Not a huge amount but I think the difference is clear.

Compared to my Promaster ED (FrankD's old one) I can see the PF65 and 65FL are better by a notable (for an optics geek) but not a huge amount. The Promaster still gets hauled around and works well: it's small size. wide zoom and ED objective makes it a very usable scope.

Mannukiddo the best way to differentiate the scopes is to push them at the top end of the magnification. The differences are much larger.

In birding terms though the argument is perhaps a bit clear. The top scopes are going to best the next ones down under more difficult conditions: lower light; bad glare (though the Zeiss isn't fantastic for that).

The one thing that's clear to me is that the step up to ED objectives like the PF65 is a significant step. Whether you need more steps beyond that is up to the user and perhaps their style (and goals) of birding.

Hi Kevin. It´s probably that price difference means quality difference in most cases, but have you tried Pentax 80 ED using Pentax XW eyepieces instead of Pentax zoom ?

I had both the Pentax 80ED and Nikon ED82. I did lots of testing and measurements. The Nikon was better by a considerable margin. It is still the best value in spotting scopes on the market. I only sold it because I got a great deal on a Kowa 883 and it is a better scope for digiscoping.

There are times though I still wish I had the 75x capability of the Nikon. I may buy another if my wife decides she would like to carry a scope but for now she lets me sherpa the Kowa kit.

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Hi Kevin. It´s probably that price difference means quality difference in most cases, but have you tried Pentax 80 ED using Pentax XW eyepieces instead of Pentax zoom ?

I was comparing the same fixed EP on different scopes. I don't have a Pentax zoom (you made that assumption) and use fixed EPs on the Pentax (one of it's good features).

The tube made a difference but that was with the PF65.

I have the Nikon & the Pentax ,3 of each 50,60 ,82 Nikons. 65,80,100 pentax.
With the XW EP,s I think the Pentax is the equal of any .
Much cheaper also.
Brian.
ps They dont have the prestige factor that the others have though.

I have both the Pentax 80ED and a Swarovski 80HD. My impression is that there is not much difference when using Pentax eyepieces XW20 (26x) and the XW14 (36x), but when using XW10, which gives 50x, the difference in resolution is significant.

In my experience the difference between a good scope and an alpha scope becomes apparent around 30 to 40 power, and at around 50-60 power the difference is quite significant. So the question becomes how often will one use the higher power. For me, during the warmer months of the year when heat waves are distorting the view I'm usually around 30x.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back